Aasco Lightweight Flywheels?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Aasco Lightweight Flywheels?

Post by Mooneggs »

So I went to place an order for a new Fidanza flywheel yesterday from rr-racing.com and I get an email this morning saying that he wants to send me an Aasco Flywheel instead. Here's what he said:

The new flywheel I am sending you is of a different design. It is actually an Aasco Motorsports flywheel, it is **significantly** superior in quality and workmanship compared to the fidanza... I absolutey guarantee it or I'll give you your money back. You should know that, because the fricture surface is different. it is also actually much better then Fidanza's friction surface as it is specially heat treated, somthing you'll see right away when you get the flywheel.

So I did some research on Aasco and it looks like this site is saying it is 11 pounds vs. the Fidanza's 9 pounds (which is one of the main reasons I was buying the Fidanza).

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdet ... ight/10834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site says 9 pounds but it has a nice picture - it looks like it doesn't have as many bolts holding the surface down compared to the Fidanza:

http://www.fordprobestore.co.uk/store/p ... 7e18f06fff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a big purchase for me and I want to make sure I make the right decision!!
So have any of you used this flywheel on your klze or k8? I tried searching on google, clubprotege and probetalk for info but didn't find much... any info you might have is appreciated!

EDIT: I just called Aasco and confirmed their flywheel for the 2.5L v6 is 11 pounds :?
I also called rr-racing and they no longer carry the fidanza flywheel for the v6 since they believe the aasco is much better quality. The guy I spoke to said they still have some of the fidanza surfaces for the v6 though.
ninjajim4

Re: Aasco Lightweight Flywheels?

Post by ninjajim4 »

wow wtf... i'd get your money back asap. the whole point of a lightweight flywheel is the weight savings!!!
Dan [Sac]

Post by Dan [Sac] »

11lb is a very light flywheel still. 9lb makes a daily commute just awful, and I've always disliked having a tiny flywheel (speaking in terms of mass) because of their decreased ability to function as a heatsink for the clutch heat. Even on my drag Probe I run a steel MX3 flywheel for that reason, as well as not to lose too much RPM between shifts.
'90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
'93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods... 10.24 @ 139.5 mph [20 psi] - 545 whp, 490 wtq @ 21psi
1997 Ford Probe GTS (Hybrid) - RWD Conversion - Build Thread
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Dan [Sac] wrote:11lb is a very light flywheel still. 9lb makes a daily commute just awful, and I've always disliked having a tiny flywheel (speaking in terms of mass) because of their decreased ability to function as a heatsink for the clutch heat. Even on my drag Probe I run a steel MX3 flywheel for that reason, as well as not to lose too much RPM between shifts.
Some people cant tell the difference between a Fidanza and a steel flywheel

Anyway, get your money back!
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

This is unfortunate. I had been thinking about getting a clutch and maybe a flywheel from RR. Now I'll have to reconsider.
Cody
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

how much does a OEM flywheel weight ?
i think that a GOOD aftermarket part i allways best over the OEM ...
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Its like 16lbs IIRC
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I daily commute with 9 lb flywheel, seems to help my mpg alot. Seems like driving any car.. actually easier..

get your money back.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

tehbrookzorz wrote:This is unfortunate. I had been thinking about getting a clutch and maybe a flywheel from RR. Now I'll have to reconsider.
I got my combo from them last year. If people are unhappy, if you want to order that, e-mail them, if your not happy, let them know. If enough people aren't happy with not being able to get the Fidenza, than hopefully they'll offer them again.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Is this the same 11lb flywheel that is on Ebay?

I remember last year we were all talking about a Ebay Clutch + Flywheel combo for only like $300...

Some people said not to go for it, so I didnt, in the fear that the clutch might F^ up on me sense it was a Ebay Clutchmasters rip off.

HOWEVER! I have asked a few people on Ebay who bought a clutch from this particular Ebay company and they had positive things to say. Even some dude with a 400whp DSM said the clutch was great.

How much is this Aasco flywheel?

If I had a DSM or Honda, I would of bought that Clutch + Flywheel combo. But sense I own a KL engine powered car, I was a bit worried because aftermarket stuff doesnt always fit right on our cars like they do with DSMs or Hondas.
So I went with a Fidanza Flywheel and a South Bend Clutch.

EDIT: The ebay flywheel + clutch combo was some aftermarket 11lb flywheel with a Clutchmaster's rippoff kit
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on September 14th, 2008, 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

A lighter clutch in theory will only improve gas mileage if you're in a lot of stop and go traffic because the engine doesn't have to work so hard to get up to speed. On the highway, the added momentum of a heavier clutch will make the engine not have to work so hard to maintain revs...

Anyway, even though I like the idea of the Fidanza, I'll probably stick with a stock flywheel for my rebuild. I can't comment on the quality of the Aasco because I've never heard of them.
Cody
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

let me get this straight ...
stock - 16lbs
Aasco - 11lbs
Fidanza - 9lbs

if the flywheel needs to be lighter ... the best is Fidanza ...
If the flywheel needs to be tuff ... the best is Aasco
the balance is the Aasco ... get that one ...
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

fidanza... its been out long time... many many have it... its balanced its from the biggest flywheel manufacturer... tried tested and true... and its the lightest need anymore reasons to go with fidanza? if so ur just a jackass lol
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

sure, if he can get fidanza ... he should go with that ... but he could try the Aasco :confused2:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Here is a link to the ebay s--- I was refferring to
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTD-PROL ... enameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was a similar clutch + 11lb flywheel deal going on.

Mooneggs, its up to you. How much are they charging you for this 11lb flywheel?

Again... the Ebay clutch and flywheel (also 11lbs) on Ebay with a clutchmasters rippoff clutch kit (I cant find the link, search around ebay), seemed like it came from a good quality rippoff brand company...

Not suggesting to go thru the Ebay route, but you may want to check it out.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”