washing the v6 engine??

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
noluv

washing the v6 engine??

Post by noluv »

Hi all,
before you start,yes i have done a search with no joy,
my engines really dirty and i want to clean it,this is my 1st mx3 and have no idea what to be care full with,can you tell me if steaming or pressure or hosing it downs best and what i shouldnt go near and what i should remove please.
sorry for such a stupid question but after seeing some of your blinged up engines,ive got to do it :D .
thanks in advance.
solo_ryder

Re: washing the v6 engine??

Post by solo_ryder »

Cover the distributor with a plastic back. Make sure you cover any aftermarket intake system as well (at least the filter).

Then go to the car wash and use a low pressure rinse like a pre-soak to get it all soapy and then wash it off with a rise. You can use the brush for abit as well to clean it up.

Then maybe let it dry in the sun for abit!
noluv

Post by noluv »

solo_ryder wrote:Cover the distributor with a plastic back. Make sure you cover any aftermarket intake system as well (at least the filter).

Then go to the car wash and use a low pressure rinse like a pre-soak to get it all soapy and then wash it off with a rise. You can use the brush for abit as well to clean it up.

Then maybe let it dry in the sun for abit!
thanks a lot fella,
didnt want to destroy my beloved :love2: .
thanks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

'Gunk' Engine Degreaser, follow instructions on can. If really really dirty buy two.
Last edited by Daninski on September 2nd, 2008, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
noluv

Post by noluv »

Daninski wrote:'Gunk' Engine Degreaser, folow instructions on car. If really really dirty buy two.

real real dirty mate,
like it been under trees with bonnet,boot and doors open :shock: .
sure there was a pigeon nest or two too :wink:
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

solo_ryder wrote:Cover the distributor with a plastic back. Make sure you cover any aftermarket intake system as well (at least the filter).
Should you cover over where the spark plugs are too??

DEB
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

You can if you want, but if you have newish plugs then they should be ok on a low pressure rinse. They should bond to the aluminum creating a seal, you would notice this when you take the plug wire out and it takes some force.

But that is a good point, once your done go ahead and wipe that area dry of water (on the valley in the valve covers) to ensure no residual water gets into the spark plug area. If water does get into the holes some compressed air and a towel on top will clean that stuff out :)
noluv

Post by noluv »

thanks for replys,
on that subject a mate said i should grease round the to create a seal but i did think it would be ok with low preasure.
just dont want to wreck any think for the sake of a bit of dirt.
i might just take it the garage and let the pros do it if i cant remove much with low preasure.
thanks again for replys and as said good point.
take care lads
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Careful of the plugs. I washed my engine and it sounded like a helicopter running on 4 cylinders for 3 days. Looked nice though ;)
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
noluv

Post by noluv »

ElectricEnergy wrote:Careful of the plugs. I washed my engine and it sounded like a helicopter running on 4 cylinders for 3 days. Looked nice though ;)
lol,
will scrub by them and not hose.
thanks for warning
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I tried all that chemicam crap with no success..

so...

I sanded the manifold and covers and painted them black lol

It had tar tains well moke stains when the car on fire.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
redmxlookin4turbo

Post by redmxlookin4turbo »

you want to wash your motor with it running this vibrates all the water out of the little places
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

This thread is overkill now.

Wash the motor already. Not that hard
noluv

Post by noluv »

solo_ryder wrote:This thread is overkill now.

Wash the motor already. Not that hard

to you not that hard as you may of had yours many years but me as a newbie to the car,i want to be carefull and not wreck my engine,lucky i didnt just blast it with the pressure washer aint i?
thanks for all replys lads
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

redmxlookin4turbo wrote:you want to wash your motor with it running this vibrates all the water out of the little places
If you do this
Let the car cool completely. Then start it, and wash the engine immediately. If you spray cold water on a hot engine, you could warp, or crack something, because the rapid change in temp causes contraction on that spot, while the other parts are still expanded. Also, you could cause the belts to slip, or get water in the intake.
I don't recommend cleaning the engine while it's running. If something shakes loose afterward, you can spot clean it. I do run my cars to dry them, for the same reason.
If you pressure wash it, take the plug wires out of the heads when you're done, and blow the water out, so they don't cause a short.
The best way I've found to clean the engine is to spray on Gunk Foaming cleaner, wait a few minutes, and spray it off with Gunk not foaming engine cleaner. A cheaper way is to spray the foamy stuff off with 90% Rubbing Alcohol in a spray bottle.
You can't get it any cleaner than this.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”