GTR VS. KLZE TURBO

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
trbohatch

GTR VS. KLZE TURBO

Post by trbohatch »

I have been looking around quite a bit, trying to figure out what engine would be better for power. I know that the gtr has 210 hp, with the single turbo setup, not installed is about US/$2300.00. The KLZE is about 200hp for about us/$1200, not installed but the klze is a lot more weight. does anyone think that the weight difference between the 2 motors would make any difference power wise. and obviousely, money wise...... and has anyone done a full turbo setup and the klze,......about how much $$$$$ was it to get it running. and comparing it the a full turbo setup on the gtr. let me know very interested
Savin

Re: GTR VS. KLZE TURBO

Post by Savin »

First off, it does help if you state the motor you have in the car now, K8 V6, B6 I4 (SOHC, or DOHC), etc and year.
If you have a 4-cylinder, it would require ALOT of transferring of parts to fit a KLZE, it would be better to get a GS and swap.

If I understand correctly, Isn't the GTR the 210 hp BP-t? In which, that means it's a 4-cylinder.
If you have a I4, stick with I4's
If you have a V6, stick with V6's
Its merely too much hassle to swap parts from one car to another to fit an unlike engine (B6 to KLZE, or K8 to GTR).
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

Savin wrote:First off, it does help if you state the motor you have in the car now, K8 V6, B6 I4 (SOHC, or DOHC), etc and year.
If you have a 4-cylinder, it would require ALOT of transferring of parts to fit a KLZE, it would be better to get a GS and swap.

If I understand correctly, Isn't the GTR the 210 hp BP-t? In which, that means it's a 4-cylinder.
If you have a I4, stick with I4's
If you have a V6, stick with V6's
Its merely too much hassle to swap parts from one car to another to fit an unlike engine (B6 to KLZE, or K8 to GTR).
ditto
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Are you talking about a skyline gtr? :shock:
If so, you are f'n fired. I'm just kinda thinking that cause you said single turbo..... wtf? Even if you were.. what engine? SR20, RB25, and how in the hell would it power the front wheels? I hope to hell I am reading things wrong.

FYI.... it is important to make sure that your FIRST post and every one after has some sort of info/background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55PLMSPi ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No, the GTR is in reference to the Mazda 323 GTR motor. It was to compete in a Group A rally class I believe and Mazda needed to make at least 1500-2000 of those cars for it to quality for that class, about only 2200 were made.
The JDM GTX model featured all wheel drive, Limited slip differentials and a turbocharged 1.8 L BP engine. In 1992, the rare JDM GT-R rally version was added featuring a number of performance enhancements over the GTX model: a stronger gearbox (G5M-R), sodium filled exhaust valve stems, an aggressive front bumper and bonnet vents, stronger engine internals, larger upgraded roller-bearing turbo and homologated five stud wheel hubs.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I am fully aware of the 323 gtr.... but he was talking about a gtr with a single turbo... which in itself implies that there is a twin turbo gtr out there... the only one I know of is the nissan. :shrug:
trbohatch

Post by trbohatch »

No, that is what i was talking about was the mazda 323 gtr. i was trying to let everyone know what i was talking about and get all the info out there.

I currently have a 1994 mx-3 not sure the engine (b6,bp,???) not sure. i know that it is the 4 cyl. DOHC engine so let me know on that. would the weight on the KLZE make any difference compared to the BP-T GTR??? what do you think would be the power to weight on both engine? with the KLZE W/ turbo, and the gtr.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Guys have made big power with both. The KL might weight 50 - 100lbs more, but once you get up over 250hp a hundred pounds isn't a huge concern.

Of more concern to you is the money. It's expensive to make a lot of power. It's really expensive to swap from I4 to V6 and add turbo. You're talking about a very expensive proposition to do well. Getting a ZE and making it ready for turbo is a couple grand minimum. To put it in your RS you need a GS donor, theres another grand prolly. To turbo it and make it work well is $3K more.

On the other hand, finding a GTR or GTX compete is not easy and if you do it's a $2500 engine. To get it to make big power you'll need to spend a few grand. The swap is not quite as easy as a ZE in a GS, but certainly easier than putting a ZE in a RS.

Either way if you want 250ish hp, it's going to cost int he neighborhood of $5000, conservatively. But a BP-T is way less work for you.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

For 250hp you can either pimp our the B6 you have in there already, or turbo a BP.. a bpt wouldn't be a really good choice. You'll probably want to upgrade the turbo.. meaning new manifold. Bla bla bla. Get a bp and upgrade it. You can do things in stages.. First swap then turbo.

End your project with the same ammount of cyls you started with.
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

I'm with them, get a BP and get it running NA, then go in stages with a single turbo. heck I can even sell you a nice BPT intake manifold for $75 plus shipping. I paid $150 for it back in the day. Flows much better than the stock N/A manni. PM me about pics if you are interested.

It used to be offered by corksport for $100ish but now they only have the GTR intake here:
http://corksport.com/store/category/8lm ... Parts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trbohatch

Post by trbohatch »

What is the difference between the BP-T, and the GTR. By the way this is the best forum out there for mx-3. i am just learning about all the things that you can do for different cars to make different amount of power. i think corksport has the gtr engine that they sell. i think that i will go with that. my engine in my rs has about 250,000 miles and runs just as strong as one with less miles. i dont think that it would be worth doing the internals to make it ready for turbo. has anyone heard of using a miata ( i think it is the 96-98) ?????? throttle body on the gtr. does it make a difference in power.?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

The GTR is technically a BPT its just a variant, different then the regular GTX. The GTR is 30 more HP, has bigger turbo, better valves and rods/pistons I believe and has a stronger block. The possibility of finding a true GTR is very rare. You don't need to upgrade the internals of ANY of these motors to boost them. No you wont be able to push 30 psi on stock but you can get a nice 14+ psi on stock internals. It just needs a good tune, and good equipment. Dont get cheap ebay AFPR or Turbos, buy quality. Get MS II or a Halteck and have someone tune it for you, or keep the boost low until you can get a proper tune.

A BP will handle boost better than a B6 (esp if the B6 is SOHC) but it's still possible. BP is the best swap to start with, you can put in a BPT but it comes with lower compression pistons, and the factory turbo will be a bit weak, so I wouldn't recommend.
trbohatch

Post by trbohatch »

does the protege tranny still bolt up to my car, to add the lsd. my engine is the b6 DOHC. Do you think that it would be a good idea to boost the engine even with 250000 miles, and just get a quality turbo? also what kinda injectors and fuel pump do you recommend to turbo the car?. doesnt the gtr have oil squiters, which helps with turbo setup?
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

trbohatch wrote:does the protege tranny still bolt up to my car, to add the lsd. my engine is the b6 DOHC. Do you think that it would be a good idea to boost the engine even with 250000 miles, and just get a quality turbo? also what kinda injectors and fuel pump do you recommend to turbo the car?. doesnt the gtr have oil squiters, which helps with turbo setup?

miles? and i dont think they make a turbo manifold for the B6. i had a 1994 rs and i remember being in the stage your in now. you have along way to come :) haha. heres what i did - sold it and got a mint 94 GS that hadnt been modified in anyway. think about it you get a sunroof, power windows, rear lower tie bar, 4 wheel disc, front lip and nice spoiler all stock if you find a good one. (you dont need AC so dont worry about that)

if your bent on 4cyl turbo of some sort then do it. you wont get bashed by other mx3ers for what swap you opted on, its a nice community.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

There is a manifold for the b6 doch. JGS turbo will allow you to match whatever turbo flange you want to your mani. There are plenty of options for the 94rs. Find a decent BP and tubo it when you know more about you are doing. One step at a time is going to be better for anyone starting out.

Return to “Forced Induction”