Exhaust noise

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mi|<E

Exhaust noise

Post by Mi|<E »

So with the BP swapped in I had to connect the flexpipe from the BP to the existing
Mx-3 exhaust just behind where the cat should be. I have no cat in my car. So I used
a cheapo 10 dollar 2" flexi tube from Crappy Tire and 2 exhaust clamps on either end. Needless to say it sounds like there is an exhaust but from 2000-3000 rpm and while accelerating its pretty tinny. To compare it to something everyone can relate to -

Driving down a 50 kmph limit road a Honda pulls up beside me at a red light. He looks over and starts to rev his fart can exhaust. My girlfriend is sitting beside me and says "Oh he must have an exhaust leak too, his car sounds just like yours". I told her that no, infact the Honda guy had paid at least a few hundred dollars to make his car purposely sound like that. She got this hilarious look of confusion on her face and says "Oh well thats just silly then".

Yep, thats a riced Honda for you (I pulled away from him no problem at half the volume).

Story Mode off.

So what kind of resonator should I get in there to replace the cat ? Just a cheapo glasspack with the connection between flex pipe and exhaust welded up?

Keep in mind I just need it long enough to hold me till the turbo goodies are in and
a 3" mandrell is run throughout. So maybe a year at max if things dont go well.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Exhaust noise

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Hey man!

Carline muffler should be able to fix that leak and add the res for about $100.00. I had them do mine after the dual fart can of mine started to loose coolness.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

MasterFlo makes a nice long high flow cat. That's what I'd do. It's very free flowing but because of the length quiets the exhaust nicely. Plus your emissions will smell better.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Yep got a quote from fast brake and muffler man, they do good work too, its by chinook mall. 100 bucks quoted for a weld and putting in a resonator.

I'll hold off on the cat till I redo the entire exhaust. Its nice not having to deal with emissions here. I just cant stand the rin-tin-tin-honda-tin-tin sound anymore.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”