HEI done but still leaves me stranded... Please Help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JNeil

HEI done but still leaves me stranded... Please Help

Post by JNeil »

Hey guys, so I've been having problems with my disty randomly stalling and wont start for about 10 minutes and it always seems to happen at the worst possible time im getting sick of it. I did the HEI mod without the ignition coil and it still does it (less it seems but still not good).

I've checked over my wiring for the HEI multiple times that's not the problem. My question is if I do the coil mod (which seems somewhat difficult compared to the HEI) will the problem persist?

I'm also wondering rather than waste more money modding my k8, what supporting mods do I NEED for a ZE swap (clutch, chip, IM, axles, exhaust, etc.), and I assume it comes with a new disty? I have read through most of the faqs but I cant find (or understand maybe) what is absolutely NEEDED.

P.S. I've used the search function multiple times searching for HEI info and it seems way faster just to ask than spend 3 hours searching
Nd4SpdSe

Re: HEI done but still leaves me stranded... Please Help

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

JNeil wrote:Hey guys, so I've been having problems with my disty randomly stalling and wont start for about 10 minutes and it always seems to happen at the worst possible time im getting sick of it. I did the HEI mod without the ignition coil and it still does it (less it seems but still not good).

I've checked over my wiring for the HEI multiple times that's not the problem. My question is if I do the coil mod (which seems somewhat difficult compared to the HEI) will the problem persist?

I'm also wondering rather than waste more money modding my k8, what supporting mods do I NEED for a ZE swap (clutch, chip, IM, axles, exhaust, etc.), and I assume it comes with a new disty? I have read through most of the faqs but I cant find (or understand maybe) what is absolutely NEEDED.

P.S. I've used the search function multiple times searching for HEI info and it seems way faster just to ask than spend 3 hours searching
Well, if it works, than there's nothing wrong with your HEI mod, especially if you can basically predict when it's going to not fire. The next possible thing it could be is the coil. The coil mod isn't hard, you've done most of the work, the only thing that's a bit of a pain is taking the disty apart and removing the internal coil. As well, you'll need a disty cap with the connection for the external coil. Just to mention the ZE disty that (if, usually) comes with the motor is designed for an external coil only setup, so it doesn't have an internal coil and it has a 7th connection for a external oil.

Even if you stick with your K8 or swap it out, doing an external coil is a good idea regardless.

There's plenty of threads on what you need for a ZE swap, but in terms of the basics; clutch, ECU (or chip if you want to go with a probinator) and motor are the basics. IM comes on the motor, axles/tranny are good, you can use the stock exhaust if you wish no problem. Ideally you want to do preventative maintenance stuff like waterpump, belts and stuff. The only thing I want to really say is to get a Stage 1 clutch from a reputable manufacturer, don't get an OEM, JDM or eBay-Special clutch, they don't hold up.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JNeil

Post by JNeil »

Thanks Nd4SpdSe, that was exactly the answer I was looking for!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

If your going to do a ZE swap, make sure to change out the intake valve springs, retainers for KLDE ones.

You also want to sign up for Probetalk.com
Look up this thread
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701245892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let us know who your are going to buy the KLZE engine first! Mx-3.com and Probetalk.com know some good reputable places to buy one form.

Also, make sure to get a straight neck KLZE. Those come with true KL31 cams.
You can trade your straight neck manifold to someone on Probetalk.com

Also the only problem with the ZE swap is the EGR (to pass emissions)
http://forums.probetalk.com/showpost.ph ... stcount=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701242736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.probetalk.com/showpost.ph ... ostcount=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Besides changing the timing belt, you want to change the water pump, timing pulleys ($110 dollars for all three pulleys at NAPA) and as for the tensioner. You can make a manual one that way you dont have to spend $80-$150 on a new one.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

In Ontario (Canada) we require an emission test. I've done it twice with no problems. Most if not all of us don't have the EGR system connected. As long as it's healthy there shouldn't be a problem...

I think that even with the EGR system connected, the KLZE ECU's (KL31/KL36) aren't aware of the EGR system and don't use it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:In Ontario (Canada) we require an emission test. I've done it twice with no problems. Most if not all of us don't have the EGR system connected. As long as it's healthy there shouldn't be a problem...

I think that even with the EGR system connected, the KLZE ECU's (KL31/KL36) aren't aware of the EGR system and don't use it.
I disagree. A few people in Probetalk.com have had to use the EGR to pass emissions. It brings the NOX levels down.

Its like saying that there isnt a point into using oxygen sensors on a KLZE just because the original headers didnt come with any.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I disagree. A few people in Probetalk.com have had to use the EGR to pass emissions. It brings the NOX levels down.

Its like saying that there isnt a point into using oxygen sensors on a KLZE just because the original headers didnt come with any.
Well firstly, the car will definitely fail an e-test with no O2 sensors and even bad/old ones. Reason I say it doesn't know about is that for what I remember it doesn't, so it doesn't control the EGR valve. Reason why it doesn't throw a code.

I'm pretty damn sure that even maybe 1 of us in the Toronto area has the EGR system connected on the exhaust side, I know that none of us have modified our intake manifolds to accomodate the EGR system. My Mx-3 with no EGR and a single catalytic converter running a KL36 ECU has passed our e-test system twice so far under K8 levels. There is the hot rod exemption that some people can use, most places require a letter from Mazda saying that the motor isn't stock to clasify. It would of went for a third time before this coming February but my motor's shot, so no chance of it passing now. I will admit that they only did an idle test last time since my car was too low for the rollers, but that should be when NOx is at it's highest.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I disagree. A few people in Probetalk.com have had to use the EGR to pass emissions. It brings the NOX levels down.

Well firstly, the car will definitely fail an e-test with no O2 sensors and even bad/old ones. Reason I say it doesn't know about is that for what I remember it doesn't, so it doesn't control the EGR valve. Reason why it doesn't throw a code.

I'm pretty damn sure that even maybe 1 of us in the Toronto area has the EGR system connected on the exhaust side, I know that none of us have modified our intake manifolds to accomodate the EGR system. My Mx-3 with no EGR and a single catalytic converter running a KL36 ECU has passed our e-test system twice so far under K8 levels. There is the hot rod exemption that some people can use, most places require a letter from Mazda saying that the motor isn't stock to clasify. It would of went for a third time before this coming February but my motor's shot, so no chance of it passing now. I will admit that they only did an idle test last time since my car was too low for the rollers, but that should be when NOx is at it's highest.
Yeah thats true. You can still pass without a EGR hooked up but I have heard of a few Probetalk.com members hook it up so they could pass.

Only reason I bring up the O2 sensor thing is because I am just saying, that the KLZE didnt come with a 02 Sensor. But that dont mean the ECUs dont have a function for them
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You know, that's the first time I've heard of that.

Of course we know from past results that the O2 sensor function does work since people have failed emission testing with bad ones with ZE ECU's, and they'll even throw a code for O2 sensors; EGR does not. But they're not just there for strictly emissions, they're there so the motor knows the end result of what's going on in the motor for the best performance and efficiency from all it's calculations for combining fuel, air and spark to create power. Of course having it run efficient means it runs clean too. I honestly doubt that the ZE never used o2 sensors.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:You know, that's the first time I've heard of that.

Of course we know from past results that the O2 sensor function does work since people have failed emission testing with bad ones with ZE ECU's, and they'll even throw a code for O2 sensors; EGR does not. But they're not just there for strictly emissions, they're there so the motor knows the end result of what's going on in the motor for the best performance and efficiency from all it's calculations for combining fuel, air and spark to create power. Of course having it run efficient means it runs clean too. I honestly doubt that the ZE never used o2 sensors.
Im thinking that if the KL31/36 ECUs dont function with the EGR, that maybe using a KLDE ECU would make the EGR function. There for, if someone is having trouble with NOX, they can simply just swap ECUs and hook up the KLDE ECU just for the emission test
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I honestly doubt that the ZE never used o2 sensors.
+1.

that makes no sense at all. saying that an ECU is programmed to use sensors on a car that doesn't have them makes no sense whatsoever. if ZEs didn't have O2 sensors then the KL31/36 would constantly be throwing an O2 sensor code. the exact same way a K8 ECU will throw an EGR code when you run it on a ZE. it expects EGR, and it's not there.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I just called 1stProbinator from Probetalk.com about his Probinator chip. He says that the chip just gets rid of the CEL for the EGR, however, that the EGR function is still on and if you were to pull the codes you would get a code for not having the EGR hooked up.

Of course, we are not talking about a KL31/KL36 ECU. Were talking about a KLDE/K8 ECU with a chip.

He also mentioned something about not having to be worried about hooking up the EGR as long as you connect some silenoids... Ill have to PM him because I didnt really get what he was talking about.

Anyway, just thought some of you should know... I havent found any info yet on wether KL31/36 ECUs run the EGR function
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i don't think we've even talking about the same thing here but... no KL31/36's definitely don't run EGR. that's why it doesn't throw a code for those of us who don't have EGR. in fact, that's why we don't have EGR in the first place. the ZE doesn't have it!!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

ninjajim4 wrote:i don't think we've even talking about the same thing here but... no KL31/36's definitely don't run EGR. that's why it doesn't throw a code for those of us who don't have EGR. in fact, that's why we don't have EGR in the first place. the ZE doesn't have it!!
The ZE engine can have EGR if you tap a hole. I never knew the KL31/36 didnt have the EGR function.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

thats the whole point..! it doesn't have EGR, you have to MAKE it.

if you tapped another hole in the exhaust for a 3rd O2 sensor would you expect it work, just because there's a space for it??

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”