High idle/engine bay temp when it's hot out

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
the_anj

High idle/engine bay temp when it's hot out

Post by the_anj »

Sometimes when it's hot out, after driving the car around (usually city driving), when I put it in neutral, it idles really high (between 2000 and 3000). When this happens, the engine bay is usually pretty hot, like to the point where my CAI is sometimes hot to the touch. Also, if I give the gas pedal a quick tap, it'll rev up and then return back to a normal idle.
It did this with the stock K8, and now it does the same thing with the KLDE.
Any ideas?

Oh and if it makes a difference, engine was completely stock before, and now I have a DE, using the K8 intake manifold, VAF, and ECU.
'94 GS-DE
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: High idle/engine bay temp when it's hot out

Post by fowljesse »

Put in Phenolic spacers. I have an extra set. If you don't know what they are, check the "search".
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

Check your TPS, make sure its set correctly and also the idle screw on the TB.
the_anj

Post by the_anj »

Fowljesse - PM sent
is this a common problem? I did a bit of searching, but didn't really find anything
'94 GS-DE
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, sometimes the search is tricky.
It's very common. When I would drive accross the desert, my IM would get so hot that the car would bog badly, since the little car has the V6 stuffed into it. You could also wrap your exhaust manifolds. The spacers make a big difference. You can actually touch your IM after a long hot drive. I also bypassed the coolant lines that go into the TB (IAC). That helps a little, too, but your idle isn't steady. I heard recently that you can turn on your defroster, and it smooths out the idle, in this case. Also, I took out all the insulation, and weather stripping under the hood, for better airflow.
What really worked was when I rerouted the window squirter line to spray the IM with distilled water, through 9 mist nozzles.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

fowljesse wrote:Yeah, sometimes the search is tricky.
What really worked was when I rerouted the window squirter line to spray the IM with distilled water, through 9 mist nozzles.
HEY That's the coolest mod I've ever heard!! A very cool mod for cooling donw the intake, hehehe

(Be carefull on the electric parts)

the_anj: Sound like typical idle issues. Follow TPS and IAC adjustments That must be tricky to tune a K8's IM on a DE :roll:
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

MX3ak wrote:
HEY That's the coolest mod I've ever heard!! A very cool mod for cooling donw the intake, hehehe

the_anj: Sound like typical idle issues. Follow TPS and IAC adjustments That must be tricky to tune a K8's IM on a DE :roll:
Not at all, zzzoomx3 and i have this same prob. We haven't been able to figure it out but I noticed that my acc. cable has a lot of play whenever it gets hot. I will let you know as soon as i figure out a solution.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

MX3ak wrote:

:D Thanks. I got fine spraying nozzles, and as far as I could tell, the water didn't go anywhere, just maybe dripped a bit down the runners. I had them positioned to spray 1 for each runner, one just behind the TB, 1 in the middle of the top, and one on the left side of the top of the IM. I even put ice in the reservoir. It really worked :wink:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

What's the chance of you tracing the outline of those phenolic spacers so I can make my own? Is it the brown phenolic?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It's black, and they're about .5" thick. I can trace them for you. Mooneggs is comparing them to his ZE ones, then he'll let me know if he wants them. If not, they're yours, Anj.
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

Are these the bushings that you are talking about?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”