LPG/GAS Hybrid MX-3 by MX3ak

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
MX3ak

LPG/GAS Hybrid MX-3 by MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

OK, it's with pleasure I'm starting this worklog and proud of being part of MX-3.com :D

Maybe I should have done this sometime ago, but i's never too late, right?

My car is a '93 GS imported from Germany to Portugal in the year 2000.

I'd buyed it on August 2004 (4 years now) and instaled LPG Hybrid system on the same month.

I haven't done the conversion my self, but asked a specialied company near town.

Next there will be some pics and links from instaled system and LPG brands here in Europe.

For the some that's may considering doing it themselfs, lookout! this is something Propane related... specific care is need while preparing this fuel system :roll:
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
Stablo87

Re: LPG/GAS Hybrid MX-3 by MX3ak

Post by Stablo87 »

I'm def looking forward to this, I actually have the giggles of joy. :D
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yayy! One of the coolest mods ever, especially with gas prices!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

I too am interested in seeing this... :D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

There are many cars driving on LPG in my country, especially VW-group cars like Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda, Seat. Plus some older cars. I had a friend who had LPG in Mazda 626, the car ended in flames. :( Anyway, I've heard it is not recommended to put LPG system in cars which are not tested with it. For example, if I put LPG in my MX-3 and police would stop me, I would pay a lot or I would lose my registration documents for sure. There must be certificate with every LPG for specific car here.
I wish you good luck with LPG, but keep in mind, LPG is not that "oily" as petrol, so you need better engine oil, special one for engines running on LPG.
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

hmmmm sounds awesome
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66481 - worklog
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72099 - feedback
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71757 - stuff for sale
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Steve_SK: My car has done 70K on LPG, and the engine pull good as allways. No need for special oils... Altough I change my 5W40 every 5k because I care for my car, It doesn't need speacial care because it's runing LPG.

LPG is cleaner than regular GAS because and it's higher octane. You can feel it's cleaner by the exaust tip, it's almost all water vapor.

These rumors of car burning due to LPG instalations are soo "third coutry" related!! Here, we have that too... 99% of the cases are due to bad electrical instalations done by amateurs. Even GAS cars, burn... it's a so common fact. But if it happens to an LPG, WOW it's because it's LPG! Like the other fuels were not volatile LOL

You talk about "oily" well that's a good point, and I'm well informed about that...
Now I know that most Honda Civic engines are not good for LPG, because of soft lighter steel valves they use; LPG´s higher temperature in combustion chamber, "eats" valves at high RPM and they have to adjust them more often. BUT that doesn't seem to hapen on my K8. I've done 70000km and the engine stills pulling without valve problems. So Mazda is better than Honda once again 8)

Another fact is that LPG is more dificult to ignite that normal GAS so, ignition system needs to be reinforced to be more durable. Better spark plug cables, smaller gap plugs and HEI mod is advised. :wink:
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Ah, good to know we have such durable engines! :) But why there are oils specially created for engines running on LPG? That's strange for me then.. Only business? Who knows.. I still prefer Natural95 anyway. :wink: And talking about more enviro-friendly fuels, I would like to have hydrogene K8,oh, that would be sweeeeeet. :) The top one would be engine running thanks to magnetic field of the Earth, I am going a little bit sci-fi here. :P
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

A quick video I made for testing my new Iridium NGK.
The engine seems to like them a lot :)
This footage is after the engine's warmup. That's when I remember to make a video of it. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PIXV700W4Q
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Can you run Gas, too?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

fowljesse wrote:Can you run Gas, too?
Yep

Hotswap 8)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

post more pics!

i wish i could do this but no one in town will do it.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

How much does it cost, compared to gas? For instance, if it costs $50 to go 300 miles with gas, how much would it be for LPG?

It would be so awesome to save money driving around, but keep race gas in the tank, for fun!
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

hec (and others): Try it first on a motorcycle, them on carburated cars, and when you can do it on an injection system, then you can start your own company. The tricky part are the copper tubes from the tank to the engine bay where the electro-valve is and then the "reducer" where's the liquid LPG gets gaseified before entering the intake system. Copper tubes== brake copper tubes :welder: The fun part would be tuning the injection maps on LPG's ECU :)

fowljesse: On a light foot, I can do around 300-350Km with my 35L LPG tank. That costs me 25 Euros. Gas would be 50 Euros by the gas prices now.

I will feed You with pictures ASAP :froggie_red:
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Ok, lets start by the Tank, it's a 35L Toric Tank, instaled at spare tire's place.

in the midle of the "donut" there's this stuff:

PS: nevermind the picture's date, the photos have been taken today 09-08-08 :mrgreen:

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”