EZ_4_FUN's '95 GS ZE Turbo Setup *REVISITED*

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

EZ_4_FUN's '95 GS ZE Turbo Setup *REVISITED*

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Yes, I've been keeping busy with lots.

I first got my MX-3 back in 1999. It started off as your typical 1995 GS Black daily driver but slowly thoughout the years transformed into more of a hobby and less of a daily driver

My first mod was a 2.5" catback exhaust to a dual DTM tip muffler.

Shortly there after, I cam acorss a set of the OEM side skirts everyone here creams there pants for. I got those for a pretty good deal down in a Miami Mazda dealer that had them sitting in the wharehouse since 94 or 95 when they were discontinued. I ordered the EREBUNI kit #358 to complement the sides:

I took a while to decide what colour to paint it, so I drove the car around for a few months with the kit unpainted. One day, back in 2000, I came across a very unique paint job from a german car magazine. It was a blend of orange, candy apple red and pearl; I knew that was the colour.

This picture shows the car after being painted the second time around in 2003 after sustaining damage from the Koreans during the 2002 World Cup. I thought at the time it would be tastefull to drive through Korean business district after they had defeated Italy and were in line to Face Spain. That was not a good idea... I also switched to the MP5 front end. The artists concept Vs. final product was pretty dam close!!

The air vents are authentic Audi TT vents. these are relatively easy to install and give you the added bonus of being able to control the air flow from any particular vent by rotating the aluminum bezel. This was not an option for the 1994 and up models.

Fully functional AUDI TT gas cap ( not cheap!!!) This operates from the inside just like the original one did by pulling the lever by the drivers seat. Awesome!

Indiglo gauges; meh.

I was all about the look, but the go fast part was lacking. I had done the KLDE swap, follwed by a ZE swap and then Boosted it. The turbo was WAY too small and I was still wet behind the ears at the time.

The original setup:

Original piping configuration:

Battery relocated to the trunk:

Eclipse side mouont Intercooler:

Last edited by EZ_4_FUN on June 6th, 2009, 9:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Re: EZ_4_FUN's new turbo setup

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

So I got a little wiser!!!

IT was time to step it up if I was going to make more than 195 ft.lbs torque from a ZE.

I bought myself a MS1 V2.2 and some Nissan Redtop injectors...This is how they originally look:

Removing the plastic tip reveals the 4 pintles often reffered to:

A little bit of elbow grease and cold ones yields:

Now they are ready to flow up to 550 cc/min. More than enough!!!

The next concern was that having modded the redtops, flow was characterized as "supersoaker" like. This meant that the fuel would not get atomized as well which can cause hot spots in the cylinder and poor combustion. I took it one step further and got our plastic tip that came off our OEM injectors and got it to fit the redtops. It should help with splitting the stream and making for better atomization:

In order to do this, you need to take into consideration the dimensions of the plastic tip or else you stand to wast alot of money getting your fuel rails modded to find out it won't fit! Trust me!

OOPS!!! Too far!!

Last edited by EZ_4_FUN on August 3rd, 2008, 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Re: EZ_4_FUN's '95 GS ZE Turbo (New Custom Setup)

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

I decided to do the ZE disty mod in order not to manually glue a 7th tower in the disty cap which is needed to run the MSD ignition. I thought i looked horrible. I mounted an alulminum plate for future components not yet knowing and with no funds to afford them then!! hehe...now supporting the ignition, Blitz boost controller solenoid, the external coil and must recently the AEM UEGO controller.

This is a one off I made the past few weeks after work. It doesn't require that you cut the crossmember like those cheap ebay kits and its made from T304 Stainless steel; its the food industry grade, serioso stuff!!

Today I hope to mount the 2.5" cat I got from probetalk.

Finished mocking up the Cat.

Whats left:

T3 exhaust inlet flange (hasn't arrived)
wastegate flange (hasn't arrived)
Last edited by EZ_4_FUN on October 1st, 2008, 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OSKY

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You get those Megasquirt issues sorted out?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:You get those Megasquirt issues sorted out?
Yes, Finally!!! I would not have embarked on this new setup. The last problem I was having was due to the injector relay. I had initially pulled power to my fans from the relay itself which overloaded the circuit and melted around the plug. That caused faulty contact leading to MS not powering up.

Its all good now, I pulled one lead off the R7 resistor since I am sharing the CLT signal with the ECU.

They have nice coolant sensor adaptors on ebay you can put in parallel in one of the hoses and run a secondary CLT sensor one its own to MS which will make things easier for you; I may do this if I see that the Temps are off. Everything was working just fine so I probably won't need to.
Last edited by EZ_4_FUN on October 1st, 2008, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSKY

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: EZ_4_FUN's '95 GS ZE New Turbo Setup

Post by fowljesse »

NICE WORK! I love the Audi touches, especially. And the injector mod is innovative. The turbo setup is great, too. It's all freaking great!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

WOW this is awesome LOL I tought I was the only one using that intercooler.. its in the EXACT same place mine was
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Finally got the T3 flange and wastegate installed. As I type, the pipes have been completely welded shut, coated and graphit coloured wrap has been ordered.

I located the O2 bung on the downpipe just below the ditributor so that the O2 points out towards the driverside strut or where the battery would be. Its angled upward so that the plug will not accumulate moisture.

Gaugless AEM UEGO control module.

Ive decided to leave the boost controller installed but with no power for the time being until I get the beast under control. I'd hate to accidentally crank it up to 10psi...
OSKY

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

These are the pipes completely welded shut and ready for wrapping! I ordered some graphite coloured exhaust wrap to tone down the scene under the hood. Ifound that the regular colour is tacky! I may repaint over these in black as well to make sure its really dark!

The O2 bung is about 8-9" away from the turbine centreline. I'm a little concerned that may be too close and may make the sensor the fail prematurely; Only one way to find out!

OSKY

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Welcome to the "END OF THE BEGINING" !!!

I've finally completed the build itself. All the welds are done, pipes coated 2 times with SS paint and acrylic black rust proof paint topped off with graphite black thermo wrap.

All bolted up nicely in place, rad and overflow relocated, no oil drips or coolant leaks, so far so good. O2 sensor is working fine, everything just appears to be great right now.

Took it for a blast and it sounds vicous! I will get a vid up tomorrow. I'll definitely be spending the next few days just getting to know the car again, making sure the fuel maps and timing are ok. there are some bugs still in the system as it was choppy, but the sound of the new Garrett is totally awesome. This beast spools up quick!!

Ahhhh... finally....

OSKY

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Re: EZ_4_FUN's '95 GS ZE Turbo Setup *REVISITED*

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

UPDATE!

June 6, 2009; approximately 8 months since the first build up and initial testing. She survived another winter and has once again gone under the knife. :welder:

I'm not sure i mentioned it or not but in the original setup, I had a leading edge on the hotpipes that was quite low. I only noticed its severity once I took it down off the jacks. I had clipped them a couple times; enough to remind me that I was going to revist this yet again in 09. Here we are!

I took advantage and pre-ordered some parts so that i would have what i needed for these days. A new single sided intercooler to replace the sidemount DSM one I had. Some new 9mm silicone wires and iridium plugs to boot. i also bought a used oil catch tank ill be using as coolant overflow as well as some silicone coupler to replace the black pvc ones i had; Color coordinate if you will!

I expect to be at Cayuga on June 28th for those interested in seeing its debut 1/4 run. I'm hopeful for a good pass but at the same time, prepared to tow her back that day. Fingers crossed!

OSKY

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Today, I was finally able to mock up the last bends on the cold side leading into the I/C.

Everything looks and fits great, the MX-3 may all of the sudden experience a resurgence, a second wind if you may.
(no pun intended. :lol: )

OSKY

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Thw orange Menace; take II

http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae22 ... Menace.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some dyno numbers if I'm able to get it covered on insurance. Wednesday b-line to Cayuga if all goes according to plan.
OSKY

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

WOW I tought I was the only one that used the eclipse intercooler lol

I like your new side feed intercooler, did it make a difference on how loud the bov is? I wish they would sell the pipe style you had tho :( no need to mod cross member.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Alright, so i took her on trip #3 after trips #1 & 2 both fell victim to a loose clamp and one coupler pop off.

Today went much better, none came loose. It appears that the piping can handle at least 7 psi, apparently thats what the boost gauge says despite the WG being set for 4psi.

At highway speeds, I'm getting a whooshing sound that affects the performance. I'm not sure if its boost creep or if its just a boost leak or if the waste gate spring is too old and choppy. I expect just louder exhaust when the WG is opening, not so much a whooshing sound..

I'm going to try changing the vacuum line from which the WG is getting the signal; see if that changes anything.

Dyno testing this wednesday im sure will clear up some concerns...

Thats it for initial testing. It passed. Now its on to optimizing.

Thanks for listening.
OSKY

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”