Inner fender rust...

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Steve J-SPEC

Inner fender rust...

Post by Steve J-SPEC »

How many people have had an issue with rust on the inner seam of the front driver side wheel well...not the fender, but actuall the inside of the wheel well. I have no rust on any of my bodies, but all three have rust in this particular spot behind the strut right into the engine bay. I've cut out the affected area but it seems like the factory silicone just causes the seam to rust out...grrrrrr
'94 GS 5 speed-JDM K8, headers/custom exhaust, CAI, Tokico struts, Eibach Pro Kit, Moog strut mounts, custom solid engine mounts...
'96 GS 5 Speed air filter, KYB's
'94 GS 5 Speed OEM
Mi|<E

Re: Inner fender rust...

Post by Mi|<E »

Grab some black POR 15 and just dont get it on your skin.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

por 15 would work, make sure you sand area well so its rough. Id use 80 grit sandpaper to rough it up. You dont have to remove rust, just brush it on over the rust. I would put some undercoating over it afterwards.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Steve J-SPEC

Post by Steve J-SPEC »

Never heard of por 15? I have already cut the rust out in one piece. I have new metal formed to be welded back and clean everything up...I don't want it spreading any more than it already did so I'm thinking about repainting my control arms, cross member, sub-frame, rear components etc...I'm not driving the car so no need to rush. I just didn't know if it was common. I'm sure it is. I want the car to look stock until I'm ready to spend the money on a full kit but I don’t want little rust spots turning into the whole car. It's inevitable but I'd like to slow down the process.
'94 GS 5 speed-JDM K8, headers/custom exhaust, CAI, Tokico struts, Eibach Pro Kit, Moog strut mounts, custom solid engine mounts...
'94 GS 5 Speed OEM
Matt

Post by Matt »

Yea its common in Ontario at least, every mx3 Ive owned had / has it :)
Steve J-SPEC

Post by Steve J-SPEC »

Yea it would appear this is not just mine. I think i've got it taken care of. Just waiting to get onto the hoist at work so I can MIG it better lol...is is dangerous to drive with an 8" or 10" strip cut out of the fender do you think? Its right under the strut mount and it seems like it would be load bearing...any ideas?
'94 GS 5 Speed OEM

Return to “Appearance”