Turbo or KLZE

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
xSocialx

Turbo or KLZE

Post by xSocialx »

I know nothing thus far, would it be better to turbo charge a 1.8L V6 or get the KLZE?

Pros and cons? And how much estimated for each operation? welcoming all inputs
colinsmx3

Re: Turbo or KLZE

Post by colinsmx3 »

Don't bother Boosting the 1.8 it's pointless! Either go for the KLDE and Boost that, or do a ZE Boost and stick around 4-5 PSI (due to the High compression) and have some fun then go stand alone and up the Boost!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

So I'm totally clueless but I want to learn, what direction should I take if I want a pretty good amount of power?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Depends on what you want. If you want a reliable car, just do a KLZE swap (2.5L V6, 198hp). Turbo's need alot more TLC and would actually cost more in doing. There's literally only a handful of turbo K8's out there, and I dont ever remember coming across a dyno for one, but they'll make maybe a bit more power than KLZE, but the K8 isn't that strong of a motor, reason why people pop in a KLDE (2.5L v6, 165/170hp) or ZE and turbo those, and there's no aftermarket for the internals of a K8, so if you want a build a stronger K8 to handle boost, you can't without paying insane prices for 1-off rods and pistons. But you can use the process of turboing the K8, than when it blows up, just swap in a KL.

Like I said it depends on what you want and how much you have to spend. The easiest way, especially if you want it reliable and is a daily driver, swap in a DE or ZE, and turbo it later.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

So theres the K8 ( stock 1.8L engine) the ZE, KLZE, and a KLDE?
TOOgreezy

Post by TOOgreezy »

xSocialx wrote:So theres the K8 ( stock 1.8L engine) the ZE, KLZE, and a KLDE?
the k8, klde, klze
[1996 Mx-3 GS]
TOOgreezy

Post by TOOgreezy »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Like I said it depends on what you want and how much you have to spend. The easiest way, especially if you want it reliable and is a daily driver, swap in a DE or ZE, and turbo it later.
i agree with him, get the klze
and turbo it later if u reallly want to
[1996 Mx-3 GS]
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Thats what I've been thinking. I don't know to much so it's going to be a long process
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

what it really boils down it,how fast you go ,, depends on how much $$$ you spend...but you can get a klDE from a junk yard ready to go into your car for 500-800 bucks depending where you go... u can get a klZE and a 5spd trans with a ECU for "around" 1200 bucks give or take a couple hundred, depends where you go...droppin in a 2.5 is pretty much the same thing as putting in another k8 engine, if say yours blew up. direct drop in basically so its the only way to go..myself im waitin for my engine and/or trans to go so i have an excuse to do the swap :welder:
ImageImageImageImage
TOOgreezy

Post by TOOgreezy »

tmac4t4 wrote:what it really boils down it,how fast you go ,, depends on how much $$$ you spend...but you can get a klDE from a junk yard ready to go into your car for 500-800 bucks depending where you go... u can get a klZE and a 5spd trans with a ECU for "around" 1200 bucks give or take a couple hundred, depends where you go...droppin in a 2.5 is pretty much the same thing as putting in another k8 engine, if say yours blew up. direct drop in basically so its the only way to go..myself im waitin for my engine and/or trans to go so i have an excuse to do the swap :welder:
lol ur waiting til ur engine dies 1st? thats wat im doing also
how many kz on ur car?
[1996 Mx-3 GS]
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

hahaha thats hilarious I have 225k i think
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Where can I get a good quallity cold air intake for my 94 gs?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Check out se7en's work log. He's a boosted K8. As far as I know it's needed little to no tlc and he is very happy with it.

You need to be aware that this is not for the noobs. It takes much research and plenty of wrench time. If you have not figured out the cold air intake you need to do your home work.

You have to accept the fact that many new people start out with saying the same things you are. Expectations and dreams far exceed research and ability. Read max' boost by corky bell... etc etc.. bla bla bla.
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

I know I'm %100 new on all this I know cars basics pretty well.|

Gotta start somewhere. And the air intake I looking for a used one so I'm having trouble finding one, I'm not rich by any means. I'm rather poor haha
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

there isnt much after market parts for the k8..you can get a k&n rip off cone style filter from crappy tire for under 30 bucks...im about to roll 250,000km and i dont think its gona die antime soon :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”