The "Clicking"

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
r8rfan66

The "Clicking"

Post by r8rfan66 »

Sounds like a good movie title...

I scrolled down and read a thread about replacing the drive shafts, and have replaced the driver's side this afternoon. I'm still hearing the clicking, and was wondering if there could be anything else that could make that noise?

The person I purchased the car from had the passenger-side shaft replaced not too long ago, but I'm assuming it may be going out also??

By the way, great site!!!

Thanks,
Dan
Spiritas

Re: The "Clicking"

Post by Spiritas »

Hey I have sort of the same problem. Or at least i think so. I needed to change my shaft joints' boots so I did :) now that everything's put together there's a weird clicking/clunking noise when I release the clutch. Not murderring it or anything, normal driving. Everytime I move or even when I change gear. Also heard it once when released the throttle suddenly. Are my shaft joints going? When I replaced the boots I did disassemble the ones that are on the trany side, but there's no way to put them together incorrectly so this new noise is a big mistery to me. I'm taking her to have the wheels aligned and I hope that will eliminate the noise or at least may the guys might tell me what's wrong. The joints cost a load of money where I live, so I almost pray before sleep for that noise not to be the joints :) . One idea I had is that maybe the boots are on so, that the joint is "disengaged" when at rest and then it makes this noise when power is applied (there's some free movement in it anyway). The thing is that this noise wasn't there before. And it's killing me. And I don't know if it's related or not but there's a very unpleasant squeeking noise when I rev up from low rpm in 2nd gear, as if metal rubbing agains metal, only when steering lock is sufficiently big. And only from low rpm. Like pulling out of a slow moving lane in traffic :) for instance. Anyone had these same problems?

Return to “Transmissions”