engine dies/problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3tuner

engine dies/problems

Post by mx3tuner »

About a week ago, my 92 mx-3 K8, M5 was running fine. No problems whatsoever. Then after coming out of work, the car wouldnt start. I popped the hood to make sure everything was okay and got back in and she started right up. Upon driving away, about 1/4 mile, the engine just dies. Lights and everything were still on, but the engine just shut off. I try to restart and it just cranks. I took the key out and looked under the hood and when i got back in it started just fine. However, once again while driving the engine cuts out.

Upon investigating the situation more, it seemed as though the engine would cut out during normal acceleration. If i baby'd it, she could run for hours. But flooring it once, causes the engine to shut off.

I thought that at first it might be the disty, as ive had a similar problem before in which changing the disty solved it.
Got a new cap and rotor first and she ran for a day or two. Then the same problems started again, so i got a junkyard disty and she ran for two more days and then started doing the same thing. Tried another junkyard disty and the same problems. Rule out the distributor.

All this time, I could get the car to start and idle fine, but when i go to drive, revving the engine above around 3,000 rpms shuts it off. If i took the key out and waited about 20 seconds, i could get the car started again.

So my next concern was the dreaded intake tube. Took mine off and found a hole and thought that was it. Got a new tube and put it on and still having the problem.

Changed the MAF and still having problems.

Tried plugs and wires and still having the problems.

I am now thinking that it can only be either fuel or electric related. However, the problems have gotten progressivly worse. Now the car will start but then shut right back off. I was thinking about taking it to mazda to have them look at it, but i cant even get it to idle now. It just shuts right back off.

So im thinking that the fuel filter will be my next change.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem, or if anyone has ANY ideas whatsoever?
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: engine dies/problems

Post by shameem »

One more thing before you rule out disty - get a reman one from autozone or something and test your car (if that doesnt work you can probably return it immediately). Not that the reman autozone distys are good - but it is tough to depend upon j/y distys.

Also - here's a cheap alternative to replacing the disty-
http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other than that make sure the gas is good (no water) and run a few bottles of fuel system/injector cleaner. Maybe run some seafoam through the intake....
mx3tuner

Post by mx3tuner »

Well, i actually did the HEI mod thing right away once i put the first j/y disty in.

And I know that using j/y distys isnt the best way to rule it out, but im hoping that after 2 that would conclude that something else is wrong. I guess it is a good idea to try and test it with one from an auto parts store.

I am planning on getting some system cleaner tomorrow, but I dont know how much good its going to do since i cant even get the car to stay on for longer then a few seconds. It will start up but then as its coming back down to idle, it just goes straight down to 0 rather then leveling off at around 800 rpms. So I dont even know if the cleaner will be able to get through the system with it not running very long.

Could it be that the fuel filter is so clogged that enough fuel isnt getting through to the engine? and then when it shuts off, the left over pressure is pushing some fuel through, which would allow it to start the next time and then shut right back off?

If not, any ideas where I should go from here? Thanks!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Could a faulty FPR cause this? For the time it takes to change the fuel filter I'd do that for sure. Check for fuel pressure as well. Easy enought to jury rig a pressure gauge into the line and see if the pump is doing it's job.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Maybe do an IAC cleanup and TPS adjustment - Also check/replace coolant temperature sensor.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

try running the car with the VAF unplugged.

I also agree with everyone else and what they said:

And the coolant sensor on the left of the engine, should be green capped, I believe? Could cause it to shut off.

Check out your fuel pressure.

If you're worried about spark, get one of those 6 buck ignition voltage tester thingeys and monitor spark

test/adjust TPS
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mx3tuner

Post by mx3tuner »

Well, just got the fuel filter on and the problem is still there.

I also tried running it with the MAF sensor disconnected as you suggested and the car wont even start. So I'm assuming that thats a good sign as to the fact that it isnt a problem with the MAF?

I guess im going to check the coolant sensor next. Is there any way to test it without buying a new one?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I would say very high percentage it's a battery or ground problem. It sounds like intermittent electrical to me.

Try a battery from another car that you know is in good condition. Clean the posts thoroughly and make sure the clamps are tight. Check all your grounds in the engine compartment. I bet when you accelerate hard the torque of the engine yanks on a wire somewhere.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
krazysteve

Post by krazysteve »

Have you removed the fuel pump out of the tank and checked the strainer, i had a similar problem last year, cleaned the tank, blew the fuel lines out, changed fuel filter. It now rev's it's "nuts" off, i was surprised how much crap was in the tank. When it's run then stopped can you smell unburnt petrol from the exhaust?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The smaller wires on the positive of my battery were just a little loose and it did cause an intermittent problem like your describing. I worked for a week and never picked up on it untill a friend grabbed the wires to check them and ripped them out of the battery terminal. Once I reinstalled them the problem was fixed.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”