Removed rear mud guards

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
Leedeth

Removed rear mud guards

Post by Leedeth »

Today I put on a fresh coat of wax. Then removed the mud guards. I think it looks better this way, and it's easier to clean now and there's less chance of damage since mud can no longer hide between the guards and the bumper. There was a crapload of dirt trapped in there.

I like it better without the rear guards, I think I'll keep it this way. Opinions?

92 MX-3 RS (B6-ME, MTX) - front/rear strut bars
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Removed rear mud guards

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah. It looks a little better from the back, but I think it looks better from the side with them on, especially if they were moulded. If you wanted to keep them, and not have build-up, you could fill them with spray foam.
I bought some, since my car didn't have them, so if you don't want them, you could sell them on here.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

I vote no muds and replacing them with a rear lip! Also add a front lip and some full OEM sides. In my opinion that's the best style that still maintains the OEM look (not to mention the style on my own car ahaha).
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I like urbanconcepts idea ^^^^^
I wish they made an OEM rear lip... I've always felt like something was missing by just having rear muds...
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

what do u have for rear lip urbanconcept..
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

looks better with them on, thats why I got mine for my SE, looks even better with OEM side mouldings.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You can put a chin spoiler (lip) on the rear bumper. It looks better if you mould it.
I don't know if anyone cares, but rear lips, and low rear bumpers cause alot of drag, reducing you MPG, and top speed. They may affect drag times, too.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Leedeth

Post by Leedeth »

I care, thanks that's good to know.

I'm also wondering if these mud guards cause any amount of drag at all, I'm guessing no since they're directly behind the tire, and relatively small.
92 MX-3 RS (B6-ME, MTX) - front/rear strut bars
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

i dunno i prefer mud guards on... when i lowerd my car and put them back on it like 100 times better with then without...
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm on a forum, gassavers.org, and people make something like rear mudguards for better MPG, because they help the air return to the rest of the airflow, without causing vortexes. I wasn't going to say anything about an upcoming mod, until I did it, but here it is: I'm going to make rear wheel skirts that will attatch to my sideskirts, the fender, and mudguards. It will be flat over the sides of the tires, for less drag. I'm also covering the entire bottom of the car with 1 sheet of high tech foam core plastic sheeting, bumper to bumper, and doing a little aero mod to the front. I calculate that this will give me 5 more MPG.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm a rear mudguard guy. I don't like Mx-3's without them
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I'm a rear mudguard guy. I don't like Mx-3's without them
So am I. Unfortunately, I painted my set black to match the car's colour and put 3 clearcoats on them, I can't install them now, they're too bright and glossy. :D I must "wash" them in sand. :P
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

I'm a huge fan of the rear mud gaurds as well. Mine, being a RS, didn't come standard on it... so, a few years back, I bought brand new ones, color keyed in Blaze Red, straight from Mazda. To me, the A$$ end of MX-3s just don't look right without them.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”