My horn quit working! I cant find it!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
ddeardoff424

My horn quit working! I cant find it!

Post by ddeardoff424 »

hey, 4cyl 1992 mx3 standard -- horn stopped working and I need to locate it. where is it? I cant find any haynes manual for my car either, does anyone know what brand makes a repair manual for the 1992 mx3? thanks!
DUSTin
bluechro

Re: My horn quit working! I cant find it!

Post by bluechro »

Sorry, can't help you with the horn, but take a look here - http://mx-3.com/manuals/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Worklog! - updated Jun/26
ddeardoff424

Post by ddeardoff424 »

thanks for the link! ya all that manual says is what the part number is. thanks for the manual though that helps :)
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Chilton makes a manual.

However, the issue probably isnt the horn itself more then it is the steering wheel part of the horn,there may be a loose ground or something was disconnected. There are a few screws behind the wheel, unscrew those and peel the wheel back. From there you can check to see what is going on and if something is broken.

Other then that the actual horn pieces are under the headlights. I am pretty sure there is 2 of them, here is a pic of my old cars front end, you can see the horn piece under the pass headlight :

xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Post by xxwhiteboyjim22xx »

Make sure you cheak the fuses also. Im almost postive theirs one for the horn, their almost always is.
123mx3

Post by 123mx3 »

if the horn doesnt work and the fuse is good, what should i check next?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I would say try another steering wheel, that may work as the contacts are messed on your current wheel.
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

in thats case, if the contacts are curoded, sand them down with some sandpaper....
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

solo_ryder wrote:I would say try another steering wheel, that may work as the contacts are messed on your current wheel.
it could also be the horn gone bad... I've had 3 OEM stock horns crap out on me... when I bought an aftermarket horn it worked fine!

check your ground to the horn as well... you can also take the horn out and check to see if it works with a direct power source like the battery...
123mx3

Post by 123mx3 »

how do i remove the steering wheel? also how do i test the horn?

thanks fot the help guys
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you don't want to take off your bumper to get to the horn, you can cut the wires to it, and place your new horn in the fenderwell, or somewhere else convenient.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
123mx3

Post by 123mx3 »

how do i test the horn though?
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Disconnect your horn from the wire connector running to it. Have someone push the horn and see if theirs power at the connector by either using a test light or a multimeter to cheack voltage. If theirs power their then your horn is bad. If theirs no power then it could be many things. Fuse, Relay, switch, broken wire, ect.
123mx3

Post by 123mx3 »

where do i put the points from the multimeter? Also how many wires should be connected to the horn. i dont see a ground?
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Usually its one because its self grounded to your chassis. If theirs only one in your case, just put positive on the wire and negative on the negative battery terminal or on a bolt on the body or chassis some where. Just make sure its a good ground first before you do it. Thats why i say just use the negative battery terminal for ground. If your multimeter dosent reach then throw a wire on it you got layin around and make it longer.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”