Daninski's 96 MX-3

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Daninski's 96 MX-3

Post by Daninski »

Welcome to my Work Log
I kinda lucked in. A friend of mine lost the water pump belt while on the hwy and over heated his engine. He didn't really want to spend the money to replace the engine so he sold me the 96 GS for,,,$300. Interior is very nice and bodies in very good condition as well. Has all the power options other than A/C (sun roof makes up for that) :) So I have a very cheap starting point for my ZE swap. My intent here is to talk about this swap a little differently and add to some of the information already out there. I still have to figure out how to add pic's here so standby, more to follow.
Welcome to my Work Log

EDIT. I wanted to say a little about me to start things off. I find it impossible not to joke around. Anyone who knows me knows I can take a shot as well as I give however in saying that I really really really dislike hurtful people so my comments are always in jest, just for the record. :)
Last edited by Daninski on July 5th, 2008, 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
npspears

Re: Daninski's 96 MX-3

Post by npspears »

you can try photobucket. Works well for me.
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

I use http://www.imageshack.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
npspears

Post by npspears »

Ryan posted this not too long ago. This should help. Tutorial on how-to put in pics

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65552
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Thanks, Ryan sent me that link. I'll be able to continue this worklog next week as I'm on holidays.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK I have a few pics to post, finally. I just rolled my 96 MX-3 ZE out of the garage. As anyone who's done a ZE swap knows it takes as long as it takes and mine took me weeks. I still believe that anyone who said it's a straight swap, one day out one day in has either done a lot of them and has a hockey sock full of spare parts or they paid a garage to do it IMO.
I'll talk about what I went through and all the issues that came up but as far as the engine change goes not much to say. You keep unhooking things untill there's nothing left to unhook and for the install. You start bolting/hooking thing up until there's nothing left to bolt or hook up. Then you hope and pray you didn't forget something important. LOL

Here's the ZE pretty much installed, a few things left like, yes I see it, bolt down the battery. Stuff like that. I haven't cleaned the engine yet. Polishing the intake and heads, that'll be a winter project for me.

Here's a couple of pics of the $300 dollar Mx-3, now powered by ZE. Not bad for $300 eh? Still have to do body work and paint but I think I have a good base to start with.

Sh*t left the wiper up

Garage in the back ground where I spent many an hour learning the ways from a ZEN Automotive Master. More on him to follow. My blue 95 is in the back ground with the hood up. Had to check how they routed the front O2 sensor wire.

Re Edit. Damn, got timed out so now I have to rewrite what I just wrote.
What I wanted to comment on was how usefull the OBD2 system is when it comes time to fix or correct tuning issues with your engine. I found I had some serious issues initially so I went back and redid things like the TPS (very important) and VAF. There were problems with my O2 sensors as well and the best I can conclude about that is don't run the O2 sensor wire by your ignition wires. There were open loop problems that I think I have corrected now but if anyone has a OBD2 ECU I'm still in the market, just in case.

The KLZE as everyone knows has those big 220cc injectors while the K8 has 180cc. In the pic below you can see the OBD2 ECU correcting the fuel flow that I'm going to guess is to compensate for the larger injectors by cutting back on the fuel flow untill the signal from the O2 sensors is within limits. I did some rough math so 220 X 100 divided by 180 equals about 20% bigger injectors on the ZE. You can see the fuel correction below. Am I reading this right? I already heard the merits of the OBD2 ECU but now I can see where it's newer tecnology comes into play. However in saying that I know my VRIS still needs to be corrected. Comments?

It's handy to be able to read your O2 sensors volts to see if both sides of your engine is operating within parameters. These numbers vary constantly so the numbers in the pic are just one shot. What I did what look at the average over a minute or so. Of course the higher the O2 voltage the richer the mixture and vise versa the lower the number the leaner the fuel mixture. Great info for trouble shooting.

Thats it off to bed. I'm going for a clean air check on Wednessday so I'll see wheather any of this adds up to anthing or not. Cheers
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok, I always wonder when there's no replies, is it something I said is something wrong why is no one even telling me how full of sh*t a particular comment is I've made. I know, no one is found of red. That's it! Ok I'll paint it,,,,Blue. I feel better already. :) Remember, just because you think people are laughing at you dosen't mean they're not.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

lol I don't think that's it man... the board has been quiet the last week or so... maybe everyone is on vacation??

You need to stop acting so paranoid :wink: because you drive an mx-3 and your car looks sweet!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Damn Man, Doctor said "just too much pressure to take". Ok I feel better now, my first reply. Besides only a few of us have OBD2 so there's not many who this concerns, understandably. Besides just because OBD2 rules that's not my fault is it. tee hee
Last edited by Daninski on July 1st, 2008, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

hey did you buy this car off kijiji recently?
j/w cus i saw one just like it for 350, v6 5spd
ImageImageImageImage
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

No private deal between a friend on mine. He took good care of it,,,well almost. lol
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

i think i have that guys number kickin around still,,he still had it last i talked to him, but it wasnt mobile so i kinda lost interest because im to poor to pay to tow...need parts,, :?: i can try to re-contact..
ImageImageImageImage
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

That OBDII system is pretty damn cool. I'm glad you got an interface for a laptop...I don't think I've ever seen anyone post read out information from one ever, never mind from an ZE swapped OBDII Mx-3. I definitely give you props for taking the OBDII challenge and being very thorough with it. :2thumbsup: I don't know if you found it easier and harder than expected, but things seem to be going well with your Mx-3 and your swap.

BTW, my swap took only 3 evenings by my mechanic with little help from me, not that I was actually of much use back then ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hey thanks. Ya the computer thing made me feel all technical. lol I could only do the swap here and there as I work full time and am a single Dad. I also ordered some parts I had to wait for and after not being able to remove an O2 sensor I spend (no sh*t) three weeks untill I finally found the correct O2 sensor(s). So far so good, it idles perfect and runs well, no issues so far but I am going to swap in a KL02 VAF as I was told that's how to make the whole thing work better so we'll see. Again thanks.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Sweet ride. I'll be watching you worklog as I might find this helpful. Good job and keep it up. Oh by the way, Red is a good color, but I may be a little bias
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”