Mystery Wires?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
npspears

Mystery Wires?

Post by npspears »

Ok, I have a 94 Mx-3 4 cyl DOHC. I have never actually driven this car so I am not sure what all works, but it does have cruise, ac, sunroof, power windows and doors. I am not sure if any of that works.

Currently I am rebuilding the engine and while thinking about cleaning the bay I stumbled upon these wires. They are cut and I have traced them to go near the steering wheel. I guess they are going to the CPU?

Does anybody know about these?

If I remember correctly the wires are red, purple, green, yellow
Thanks
bluechro

Re: Mystery Wires?

Post by bluechro »

Doesn't look stock if you ask me.. Have you tried looking from the inside under the dash to see where they go?
Worklog! - updated Jun/26
npspears

Post by npspears »

no, I don't think it is stock, but whoever did it did a pretty good job. The wires go near the clutch pedal, I guess to the CPU (not ecu). Kind of hard to tell where they are going, I think they split off in 2 directions. I crawled up under there and looked. I guess I need to pop off the panel and get a better look.

What can you guys think of? Why would there be extra wires into the engine bay that hook up to the cpu?
bluechro

Post by bluechro »

Just cause it goes to the joint box under the dash, don't assume they go to the CPU - I just added into a harness under there the other day to get a constant source of power, and it had nothing to do with the CPU itself. If you really want to know, you could look up which pins they are attached to in the shop manual.
Worklog! - updated Jun/26
npspears

Post by npspears »

Well, after doing a little searching I figured it out. Looks like it is the cruise control. Some wires go to the brake and the others go to the switch on the wheel. I'm guessing this is an aftermarket cruise control and when someone sold the car they had it taken out? Bummer, I'll have to figure out how to get it working again, but first I need an engine. Still waiting on my engine rebuild kit to come in the mail *sigh*

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”