Lowering SPrings

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
zzzoomx3

Lowering SPrings

Post by zzzoomx3 »

My lowering springs are supposed to drop my car 1.8" all around - now it did for sure in the front - but my rear is still way too high, almost as if it weren't lowered at all - i've got KYBs all around, and i cant figure out why the rear-end didnt drop - could it be because there is absolutely no weight back there? because i literally have nothing in the rear-end of the car, except for the spare and a small speaker box. i will be building a much, much heavier speaker box and amp rack soon and hoping that will drop the back, so i just wanted to get some thoughts on this.
tmac4t4

Re: Lowering SPrings

Post by tmac4t4 »

tally up the weight of the speeker box ur gona put in...and put that much weight in the back of the car and see how it sits....my cars been lowered the same as yours and does seem to sit higher in the back...but take into consideration the weight from your system, full tank of gas, and perhaps passengers?
ImageImageImageImage
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

yeah - that would be a good idea - i've got some bags of concrete laying around - i estimate the new box/rack will weight around 150-200 pounds with all the amps and speakers installed - i never have passengers.
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

lol i take the bottom cushion of my back seat out jus so i can tell ppl "sorry i dont have a backseat i cant drive ya"
ImageImageImageImage
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

what springs are you using? I'd say it is likely because of your lack of mass in the rear of the car. The shock has nothing to do with ride height.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

yes i know the strut has nothing to do with the height, unless they adjustable - i'm using dropzone (1.8" drop all around) - which contrary to what i've heard are very decent springs and i've had no issues with them regarding bouncy or lousy ride, they've been just as good as any other springs i've used in the past. its just odd that the front would drop so low - that i my tires scrape the fender when i hit a large bump in the road, the rear just didnt seem to drop at all...and i see all these other MX3 that are dropped just as low in the rear as the front..ugh...
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

wish i knew what springs were on my car, could help you out better, but my car was lowered when i baught it, all i know is the springs are green..but dont feel bad my front tires rub too
ImageImageImageImage
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I am not familiar with the springs as far as quality and ride height. I had a set of their coilovers and they were seriously AWFUL. Based on what I know of the general quality of the Dropzone product, it wouldn't suprise me if the spring rates were not for the MX-3. There are lots of cars that those springs would fit. They may have ben made for a Protege which has a much heavier back end. Who knows.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Most lowering springs drop the front more than the rear by default. So if your rear is too light, then it'll amplify the issue.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, my H&R springs made the front lower. The car handles incredibly, though.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

well if the speaker box/amp rack doesnt do the trick - i'll just cut the damn things :P
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Oh, boy.
Here we go again.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

LOL _ yes well, unlike others who have butchered their springs - we used to do it at the Ferrari shop i worked at and there is a 'right' way to do it :) - i shall post a worklog on it - should it come to that. :)
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

how low are you trying to go? i mean every cars rear ride height is naturally higher than the front..i think with the a-- end being that little bit higher it transfers the majority of the weight tworards the front of the car, which in return would provide more traction (on FWD) and more responsive steering,,
ImageImageImageImage
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

i just want it even with the front - which looks to be about another inch. i will just have to throw some weight in the back when i get home and see what happens. and the rear of my MX3 was always higher than the front, more than i ever liked - i was hoping the new springs would have taken care of that - but noooooooooooo.....:P

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”