spiderpig17 93 GS 5 speed K8

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
spiderpig17

spiderpig17 93 GS 5 speed K8

Post by spiderpig17 »

I now have owned this car for 3+ weeks and put around 350 miles on her. I call her Jade since its a Z01 paint code, but the paint is faded and now looks much more green then blue :cry: . But I havent done much, I ran some seafoam through the crankcase and then shortly afterwards changed the oil. I used cheap old 10W30 Pennzoil and a Fram filter. I also ran Seafoam in the gas tank, and that really did help the car out. I removed the complete backseats and the Charcoal canister in the motor. I cleaned my headlights up with Meguiers Plastix and was very happy with the results from that. I also put brand new BF Goodrich Traction TA 205/60 15's on the factory alloys and again couldnt be more happy with the choice. Im in the process of waiting for parts right now as my awesome famaily is helping me with Jade since shes not a cheap date. I will be getting in the mail soon, 2 valve cover gaskets, new spark plugs and wires, disty cap, fuel filter, Weapon R intake. So once the parts start coming they will be getting put on by me and a good mechanic buddy of mine. I really do love the difference between this GS model and the 95 RS 5 speed I had right before this car, the feeling is awesome because I now feel like its a true sports car instead of a Geo Metro clone. I bought this car at Gettysburg Auto Auction for $950 and it was in ROUGH shape but I still have high hopes for her. Anyone own a MX3 in the 717 area code should PM here and we swap knowledge or parts because Ive owned both the GS and RS models. Also anyone with advice on making my worklog better please be kind bout it as Im still a general NOOB :oops:. But again this website is awesome and so have been the many members who have already contacted me, thank you. PS I cant add pics just yet but hopefully soon I can.
{FS}93 GS K8 5speed 217,000+ miles, gutted rear seats, factory alloys, BF Goodrich Traction TA, Z01 paint code WR SW Intake
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: spiderpig17 93 GS 5 speed K8

Post by Ryan »

Pictures of your baby! :D
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

Cant post pics yet, but hopefully soon, I can tell you that she aint the best looking, but she has potential. There are a few smaller dents in her, plus the paint is really faded, also one center cap on the factory alloys is missing. I did get the spare out the back, along with some help from my buddy. The car is not running good at all right now but I got some parts coming that I hope will fix the problems. I don't know the history of the car sadly but I do love her anyway!
{FS}93 GS K8 5speed 217,000+ miles, gutted rear seats, factory alloys, BF Goodrich Traction TA, Z01 paint code WR SW Intake
Savin

Post by Savin »

Don't worry, if your car looks better than mine, then you're off to an excellent start. Good luck with the car and welcome to the forums!
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
npspears

Post by npspears »

yeah, your car can't be as bad as mine. I bought mine when it didn't run. Currently the engine is being rebuilt, but it has lots of other problems. Paint is faded, no gas cap, somebody broke the gas door so the switch doesn't work, lots of weatherstrip is falling off, dents. I could go on and on, but hopefully in about a year most of the problems will be solved.
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

Thank you for the kind words. I know she aint that bad cause I needed a daily driver, so shes ok for just getting around on the highway right now. When I drive stop light to stop light though she likes to stall out on me a lot. I know I have a vaccum leak in the factory air box, so I ordered a Weapon R secret weapon intake, and plan on cleaning my TB also. I guess Ill do the valve cover gaskets and fuel filter at the same time. I have plugs and wires, plus a disty cap on the way also, so Ill fix up my igniton some. She really dont look that bad, I mean from 30 feet she looks great. I dont plan on adding any body kits or spoilers or even changing the wheels. One of the main reasons I like these cars are cause they look sexy as hell stock! However, I would like to build up a motor eventually, and I doubt it will be the K8 since its so rare. But anyone know of a way to get rid of dents right on the cut line of these cars? I bought a "professional" dent remover that either Im to dumb to use right or just wont get the job done. Also I really like mooneggs flat paint job and was thinking bout doing something similar maybe in a navy blue, or black. I would like to change my amber lights to a clear and have it lowered by an inch or so. I will be updating a lot this week as Jade gets fixed up, and I get some money together. MX3.com is by far the best car specific forum out, and its that way cause of all you guys keep up the great job, and when Im able to donate cash funds I will, since you cant put a price on the services this site provides, thanks again.
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

I had to get up this morning and move my MX3 out the way of a big rig who needed to park where I was, now my car stalled out on me 3 times just to move it 30 feet! So I check my engine out, and pull the dipstick and what do I see, coolant in my friggin oil :crying:. So Im hoping its just the head gasket and I can move on from there, but I really dont know if the heads cracked or the blocks cracked either. I read on another site about it maybe being caused by a timing chain? If so that might be my problem as the timing belt covers are not sitting flush anymore. Any info or help would be awesome, I was trying to get help with this car and swap out the K8 for the KL swaps, but dont have the greenbacks for it as I saw nothing but $700+ motors. I dont wanna just give up because I really want this car and want it running right soon. Thank you and please let this not be a cracked block or head, PLEASE! :cry:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You should be able to get a KLDE for $300. I've never read about a cracked head or block. It's most likely the gasket.
I've got my fingers crossed for you.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

Thanks again Jesse, lol. I thought these motors{K8} had aluminum heads? Maybe not but Ive heard they tend to warp or crack very quickly after the head gasket blows. My car never overheated, and never blew any white smoke, other then when I seafoamed :wink: . But if its the gasket anyone here know of the best price/ quality gasket out there? I tryed looking and found one in stock on this website from Arizona, but it was $ 275! I really would rather just keep working on this motor since Ive got about $300+ in parts coming for it now. I feel kinda dumb though since I coulda just started with a decent DE and called it a day. But the only DE I found around here was a Jasper and they were asking $3300!, yes $3300! So like I said I really would just like to get the K8 running strong and then work on non engine problems!
npspears

Post by npspears »

I don't know of the best quality gasket out there, but I do know at rockauto.com they have cylinder head gaskets for $19. So x2 and it only cost 38 for the head gaskets on the k8. I think aftermarket ones should be just as good as the stock ones (just gaskets) and you should be able to get them at your local automotive parts store. If I'm wrong on this someone please correct me. I have the 4 cylinder so I am just guessing.
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

Im back and I found out that my head wasnt blown, whew! But on another note the air box is still leaking and causing the car to run bad. Im waiting on a Weapon R intake and plugs/wires and I already have my fuel filter and valve cover gaskets waiting to go in. Hopefully those things will let the motor run well and I can then focus on brakes/ tranny. Thank you to all that helped and kept me posative when I saw nothing but dark skies.
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

Cars running good but im done with it. I got a 96 G20 and I love it, so I gotta let the MX go, Ill post it in the FS section and I also have extra spare parts I wanna get rid of too.
npspears

Post by npspears »

congratulations! you didn't have the mx-3 very long. sounded like it wasn't very reliable. Best to luck with the new car. Is a g20 an infiniti?
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

Yeah its a Infiniti and its been in the famaily for a long time so I know aLOT about it. Unlike the MX3 which had 217,000+ miles on it with out me knowing any history. But it was a problem child in as much as I worried constantly about it breaking down and even convinced myself the head gasket was blown{it aint} :) . But it runs good now with the new WR SW intake on it. The old intake was cracked BAD and didnt let the ECU or VAF work right. It needs a little work but nothing major far as I know. Im not mad about owning this car just ready to move on to something more comfy/safe. The Infiniti has front airbags and a CD player, and the MX3 dosent. Plus the MX3 is not sexy enough for me :lol: . But I love these little cars and would own another along the line sometime if I found one that fit me. If I cant sell it private its sadly gonna be sold at auction :oops: . As it cant be parked at my apartment complex much longer. Ill wait as long as I can though since I would like to see it go to a good home, and not some kid trying to be a street racer. If anyone really is intrested Ive posted it FS at http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... p?t=907973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can PM here I have already talked to 1 potential buyer who is somewhat local. Im losing money on this deal and Im not trying to rip anyone off, I dont have the need for a ton of money so thats why Im asking $1200 for it. Thats a steal and hopefully its sold quick because of the parking problem, thank you and again any Q's you can PM here or on the link if your a member there.
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

217,000 miles,,isnt that like 350-400,000km?
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”