Just a got an MX3!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
jbud1291

Just a got an MX3!

Post by jbud1291 »

hey guys whats goin on. I just got a 1993 GS special edition from my sister and it was for free so im pretty happy lol. i was just wondering what performance parts i should look to get at first. i was definitely thinking a new exhaust system and a cold air intake. i wanna have more power but i dont have the time or money to do a KL-ZE swap so im just gonna stick with what i got. i think its the K8 engine but correct me if im wrong (engine cover says 24valve dohc). the car is in pretty good condition for having 160,000 miles on it and it actually runs very well. the tranny was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago. any suggestions to get me more power and a better ride would be great guys thanks.
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Just a got an MX3!

Post by fowljesse »

Welcome to the forum! You are one of the luckiest here! What color is it? You should start a worklog. Click on "search" in the red bar under the mx-3. You'll find all the info you want about upgrading your car.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Back when I had a K8 (2 weeks ago... muahaha) I did the intake, exhaust and suspension. By far my favorite upgrade was performance struts and springs, it made the biggest difference in how fun the car was to drive. It's a little bit of work to do, but overall not that bad.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

haha fowljesse believe me i got very lucky lol.Its the Rasberry Metallic color and the paint is holdin up pretty good it needs new paint in a few spots but its nothing really noticable and it looks nice. and thanks for the info man i appreciate it. yea i was thinking about gettin new suspension and all of that but im gonna have to wait a little im only 16 and i dont have that much money yet lol. but i actually just found a pair of 17in rims for the car they look pretty good and my friend said he'll give them to me for 250 with tires. ha im tellin ya this week just keeps gettin better and better. ill try and get pictures soon
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

jbud, Nice find man!
Welcome to the Forums!
You didn't get a Honda!

(Location?)
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

thanks smooth, i live in deptford NJ or whick if u dont kno is in south jersey but yea it feels great to have my own car. i cant wait to start putting money into her. can the 1.8's be made to go fairly quick with mild mods?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

My k8 is still fun. Not like my ZE, but fun. If you start with a strong engine, you can make it fairly quick with upgrades.
17s will make it less responsive in every way. There are lots of threads about it. They look good, though.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Honestly, For what you would spend on parts etc.. for your K8, You could probally buy a DE. You can almost compare these swaps to the dollar menu a mcdonals. You pay cheap and get alot. Think about it, 1 dollar for a hamburger? ... It would have took you atleast 3 min. to cook the patty, of course you wouldn't just happen to have buns laying around... so you gotta go all the way to your local grocer and get buns. You'll have to use your own ketchup, your own cheese and whatever else. think about all that stuff you would have to go threw just for a hamburger when you can just pay 1 dollar and not have to deal with that and get the satisfaction right then...

(sorry i wrote alot about the hamburger, I get carried away when it comes to food.)
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
se7en

Post by se7en »

food FTW!!

umm, I am partial to the turbo situation man....but it has a steep learning curve though :)

the DE swap is the shizz, I recommend that the most.

the k8 doesn't respond to mods very well because it is pretty well maxed out as it is....

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

ha dont worry about it smooth i like food myself lol. is the the DE less expensive too buy then the KL-ZE?
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Yep... It doesn't cost near as much. If you look hard enough you maybe can find one for around 300 to 400 bucks. some told me you can find them as low as 200. I personally am turned on just by see the letters KLZE... so... lol
NorCalMX3

Post by NorCalMX3 »

yea, DE doesn't sound near as mean as ZE :freak: !

but really... my local wreaking yards do have the DE for about 200... i was thinking about going right to the ZE, but maybe i should get a DE first?!?

oh yea, and welcome man! lol, congrats on your acquisition.
1992 MX-3 GS:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2607936
1995 Honda Del Sol (Current Main until KL-ZE Swap):
http://teamsolcal.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20662
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

thanks Norcal, im also looking into a kl-ze swap but like i said im only 16 so....but anyways ill try and start a worklog as soon as i start putting money into the car
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

i took the car for a ride today and it was real nice. the only problems i noticed were 1)after being warmed up the car gets these little bumps that come from the engine and it sounds like the car is kind of bogging but this is only when i am not moving. and then 2)when i acclerate from a complete stop the car sputters a little sometimes but then is fine once i hit like 15-20mph. i was thinking maybe it has something to do with the intake or air filter but im not sure. any ideas of what it could be???
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

i took the car for another ride and it did the same thing. u guys think its the o2 sensors? i dont really kno wut they are but ppl with the same type of problems tell me it could be that. any ideas????

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”