CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MaaX

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Post by MaaX »

Hey im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.
A couple days back i put my car up on a lift and wanted to shampoo my oil pan area because i just got the car and wasnt sure if its a oil leak or just old oil that wasnt cleaned up. so after i put some shampoo on i used a high pressure gun to rinse all that off, after that i took the car down and got on my way and the car started to miss fire i think, and my check engine light came on..... i dont know much about these engines but i think i wet my coil springs....... if i did will this miss firing go away and will the check engine light go away as well if it dries?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Post by umcamara »

Remove your plug wires from the spark plugs. There'll likely be a pool of water collected in each spark plug well. This causes the spark from the wires to short to the block and bypass the spark plug. It happens to me everytime I wash my engine.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MaaX

Post by MaaX »

but i did a rinse from the bottom with high pressure... but il check there to....thanx for the advice.
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

I have the same problem, but in my case; it's the "Charge" light that goes on and off randomly

Started happening after I washed my engine bay, although I covered most of the electronic parts with a plastic bag :shrug:

Any idea?
tomfinn

Post by tomfinn »

when i bought my car, the previous owner put a gasket on to fix an oil leak and washed the oil off. i started to drive away and the thing putted and died several times, it turns out when he washed it, he got a tiny bit of water in the distributor cap. we wiped it out and it drove perfectly fine. check that out
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

It's fixed now, turns out the alternator was on its way out and was overcharging my battery..

I replaced it (was a pain in the a-- for dohc with ac crap in the way) and the problem solved

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”