HELP!! distributer problem K8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
simon179

HELP!! distributer problem K8

Post by simon179 »

right today was on my way home from work! pulled out of a junction gave it abit too much power and has just been reserfaced so must have been greasy so it was giving it alot of spin it got about 50yards down the road then started like missfiring and wasnt geting any power so i pulled over and lifted the bonnet!

engine was ticking over and idleing fine just sounded abit lumpy, when i pushed the throttle to give it some revs it would just barble and missfire was asif it was being starved of fuel and wouldnt kick out any revs!

with slow short revs i managed to build up enough power to get it moving and managed to creep it back to the office!

any idea what it could be? has propper stumped me this and thought i would aske before i go get my arse slapped by a garage!

thanks si
Last edited by simon179 on May 7th, 2008, 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
jonnykab

Re: strange engine problem K8

Post by jonnykab »

i'm dealing with a similar prob right now, and totally baffalled myself. we replaced the disty, (thru a shop) and it ran fine for a while then did the same thing again and was just warrantied out, but the third time's a charm :x
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Check your rubber intake tubing for cracks. Issues like this have been covered a million times on these forums. Search for idle issues.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
simon179

Post by simon179 »

umcamara wrote:Check your rubber intake tubing for cracks. Issues like this have been covered a million times on these forums. Search for idle issues.

ther was nothing i could see or feel! the way its running its like its starved of fuel more than air tbh
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Take out the rubber tube and bend it by hand (slightly) in every possible way - you will see millions of cracks which could let unmetered air into the engine - fix those first and see if it fixes the problem...
simon179

Post by simon179 »

just went to it before to fire it up see how it was running this morning and wont fire up

its trying to and it will get a short bump asif its gna start here and tehr but other than that nothing :(
simon179

Post by simon179 »

got it started and after a little tinker here and their is running alot smoother now

however the problem is still thier

it seems to be running too smooth on idle for it to be the timing! which was surgested on the uk forum!

when its givien revs its asif its not getting fuel or not sparking! did the paper test on the exhaust and it isnt chuking any fuel out!

just propper stuck as to what it could be!

help asap would be much apreciated!

thanks si
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

You've been given one important suggestion. Take it seriously because it's one of the main causes of idle issues on your car.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
simon179

Post by simon179 »

umcamara wrote:You've been given one important suggestion. Take it seriously because it's one of the main causes of idle issues on your car.

ive checked all of the vacume lines and they are all fine! idling isnt the problem its when i try giv it some revs it just splutters and backfires!
possibly overfueling rather than under fueling as its now ok when i take up revs steadily but is chcuking alot of sutt out the back!

one of the ht leads had fell off the dizzy thats now back on!

the tps is fine , MAS is fine still does it when i disconnect the O2 sensors!

thanks si
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: HELP!! strange engine problem K8

Post by umcamara »

It's not just idling that it affects. When the engine speed increases, the rubber accordian tube from the airbox to the throttlebody starts to twist up because of engine movement, this allows any cracks to open right up. This allows air to enter the engine bypassing the MAF sensor, which causes the car to run like crap and stall when you give it gas.

It happened to me when I first got my car, and many others as well.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
simon179

Post by simon179 »

umcamara wrote:It's not just idling that it affects. When the engine speed increases, the rubber accordian tube from the airbox to the throttlebody starts to twist up because of engine movement, this allows any cracks to open right up. This allows air to enter the engine bypassing the MAF sensor, which causes the car to run like crap and stall when you give it gas.

It happened to me when I first got my car, and many others as well.

checked that and its not that! now know its either over fueling or not burning the fuel that is geting pumped in!
rallyj79

Post by rallyj79 »

That stupid accordion-style intake has led to more problems with my 92 than anything else on the car. After switching to Direct Air- What do you know- noooo more problems! That rubber does some crazy s--- under the hood- just have someone romp on it when youre watching the enine idle- I would say between the twist and the pull there has to be a good two inches of movement, and cracks that you thought you might see start sucking air like mad! Strong cosign to the post above!! Excellent advice!
simon179

Post by simon179 »

again we checked all the hoses this weekend and they all seem to be fine!

am going to order some new leads and plugs see if that helps before splashing out on trying various things it could be like disty or maf even the o2 sensors which we arent convinced it is as it still does it when they are disconected!
rallyj79

Post by rallyj79 »

Another thing to check might be your dist. cap- There is a spring inside that somehow got bent on mine, and due to the poor connection the car idled very rough and stalled on occasion. I actually had to fix it roadside on a trip a couple years back, And luckily I was able to use a spring from a retractable pen (the "click" type) to fix it. Try this first before you drop the $$$ for new plugs/wires etc.
simon179

Post by simon179 »

yeh after more testing tonite i think its teh actual distributer that is busted the cap seems ok going to take it off tomorrow and have a look most proberbly buy a new one!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”