Error codes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
superfly

Error codes

Post by superfly »

I have a 1992 MX-3 GS and it seems to be having a problem accelerating below 3,000rpm. I did a bit of research and found that I could check the error codes through the diagnosis box under the hood. What it told me was to put a wire connecting the TEN (Test ENgine) and the GND pins and then turn the key to the on position and I could read the codes though the check engine light. I did this and nothing happened. Does anyone know if I am on the right track with this or does this not work? I only turned the key to the ON position and was a little afraid of starting it like that but does it need to be started in order for the codes to show? Any help would be useful.

Brenden
onlytrueromeo

Re: Error codes

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Was the CEL on in the first place?
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

no you dont need to start it - on is correct to retrieve codes
make sure you have a CEL (european/japan often dont) - so you use and led on fen and b+
if you're obd2 get the right reader as in the other post like this
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
superfly

Post by superfly »

Ok someone is going to have to explain what CEL means and explain this "so you use and led on fen and b+ if you're obd2"

What I did was hooked up the wire then put the key in and turned it to the ON and nothing happened.

Sorry I'm pretty new to this whole computer operated car business, most of my cars have been carburated.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”