ZE spark plug

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

ZE spark plug

Post by V8KOMX3 »

ok I know we have talked about this many times before but I need some advice. I have been having issues with my car sputtering at 4k-6k latley usualy sputters reall hard around 5k and just sits there weather im wide open throttle or not. I pulled my plugs (NGK ZFR5FIX-11) on the front bank today and they are all dark black and sooty with a smidge of oil on them. I do have some Denso K20PR-U 11's that came with the ZE that I kept and I know most people reccommend the NGK BKR7E-11's for better performance. So I guess what my question is should I just put the black plugs back in while I go get the Bk's or should I replace the black ones with the Denso's until I get new plugs? I don't wanna damaged my engine... Also I can't seem to remember 100% what it means when the plugs are black n sooty I think it means my car is running rich or my plugs are to cold? Could it be my disty is going bad like I have been thinking?

Thanks for the help guys
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
davmac

Re: ZE spark plug

Post by davmac »

Your engine might not run too good with fouled plugs, but you're not doing permanent damage. All is good when the plugs are replaced.

I'm sure someone could write a book on this and has. Deposits are more likely indications of running rich than temperature of the plug, though a hotter plug might be more self cleaning. In any case no wet oil should be found since the only way in is through gaskets, valves or rings. The appearance of plugs are directly related to how you were driving immediately before pulling them so don't be mislead if you were doing all low speed stop and go just before pulling the plugs - they will look a little sooty because they were not allowed to get hot enough to burn off deposits.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Well you should proly change the plugs for sure. If they are all black then they are fouled for sure..

As for new plugs to get, get NGK vpower BKR5E-11 gapped to .035" a 7 plug is pretty cold to run.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

thanks alot guy, Its good to know I can always count on the MX-3 community for fast and reliable info :)
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

The plugs are probably still good. You can clean them with a wire brush.
Google your question, and you'll probably find a picture that matches your plugs, and an explanation of why they look that way. Chances are, your new plugs will get that way, too.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I changed out the plugs today, and I still have the stutter at high rpms, my wires are only 4 years old give or take 6 months and they are the magnacore 8.5's so I don't think they are the problem but I will probably get some new wires anyway just to see what will happen. I did notice my car started easier tho. I still have that feeling that my disty is starting to fail seems how I have never had to change it since I bought the car in 2003. Anyone else have any ideas?
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Black soot means too much gas. If there is oil on them... Oil is bad, mmmkay.
I have a feeling it's not your ignition system. Check fuel delivery, and ESPECIALLY air delivery. Spray some starting fluid, brake cleaner, etc.. around your intake while idling, especially if it's stock. If idle is affected, you've got a leak.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I have a cold air intake on my car and I haven't found any leaks on it. I drove it from Florida to Wyoming with no problems or sputtering and it only recently started sputtering. I believe the oil was just from when I installed the plugs a while back I put a lil oil on the threads to make sure they went in good and were able to come out good. I pulled the new plugs and they are oil free and I didnt put any il on them when installing this time just to make sure. All my gaskets are new so im not to worried there. I do have an idle issue when i drive it idles a lil high and it fluctuates and sometimes almost dies because the idle drops real low when im not in gear sometimes, however it doesnt do it all the time either... :shrug: I don't have a FPR other than the stock one could that be failing?
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

ok I went to check codes today and couldn't find my LED to check them so Im gonna ahve to find a new LED b4 I can do that. However I entered diag mode without it anyway and my fan kicked on right away so apparently my TPS need tweaked again. So in the morning I will readjust my tps and give more info from there.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I did some adjustong of my TPS and my throttle position ect ect. I got my idle to drop to around 700 but it still wants to jump up to 1k-1200k when it gets warm. Also i tried to adjust my tps the best I can without a voltmeter and I cant seem to get the thing to adjust so the fan will turn off in diag mode. Could my tps be going bad or am I just missing something here?
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”