Mine is stuck in 4th

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
94mxthree

Mine is stuck in 4th

Post by 94mxthree »

Ok i have a 94 mx3 1.6 dohc with a mtx.Since I've owned it, it's been grinding 3rd gear,well a few days ago i couldn't get it to go into 3rd at all no matter the rpm's i was in.Then the very next day i was coming into town and down shifted into 4th,no biggy there,well i went to down shift again into 3rd,but i cant get it to come out of 4th,i tried everything in my power,and that silly thing will not come out of gear.I know my clutch works,cause I'll press it in and the rpms will fall like it should,so i know its disengaging, but it wont come out of forth gear,and prior to this my clutch wasn't acting up.Other than my tranny being hard to down shift into 3rd gear was the only problem i was having before it got stuck in gear.I can still drive it in 4th, but it's a pain to try to get a car moving in 4th gear.I have about 140000 miles on it and I'm not sure if it has the orig. clutch in it or not,has anybody else heard of similar story's with their trannys?Is it time for a new tranny?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Mine is stuck in 4th

Post by umcamara »

I would try and not drive it. That's one of the worst things that you can do to your engine. It's like trying to tow a house.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Sounds like your in need of a new tranny or someone to redo yours possibly. Cheaper to find a used one on here or in a junk yard and put it in yourself. Its only like 5 more steps past changing CV joints if youve ever done that.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
94mxthree

Post by 94mxthree »

Yeah i got a new tranny on the way,i just want to know whats locking it in 4th gear?some internal malfunction?.I ordered a used tranny from a scrap yard in Tenn.Supposed to only have 20k on it,and i payed $540 for it,does that seem like a reasonable price for a used tranny with that many miles?
94mxthree

Post by 94mxthree »

Alrighty i got the new tranny in,and man what a difference it makes,with only 20k on it, it just slides into every gear.No grinding or hesitation,it's like driving a new car.And on top of that the shimmy or shake i had when i got around 30 to 40 mph is gone,so i guess when i hit that curb months back i may of done something to my tranny.
Here's my cost.
$540 Tranny
$200 labor
$130 for clutch
$870 total, Man that sucks.
But everytime i shift..................Priceless.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

i just had the same trouble ... my car is stuck in 3rd or 4th gear ... just like u said ...
:(
I am not sure i can get a used tranny here in Portugal :(
Wich tranny can i use ? So i can go and look the junkyards.
Also, will this be a good time to get a new clutch ? Wll the MX6 clutch wirk fine in my K8 MX3?
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Outlaw, yours is standard his is automatic. Look at Ryans post about trannies.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
npspears

Post by npspears »

94mxthree wrote:Ok i have a 94 mx3 1.6 dohc with a mtx.Since I've owned it, it's been grinding 3rd gear,well a few days ago i couldn't get it to go into 3rd at all no matter the rpm's i was in.Then the very next day i was coming into town and down shifted into 4th,no biggy there,well i went to down shift again into 3rd,but i cant get it to come out of 4th,i tried everything in my power,and that silly thing will not come out of gear.I know my clutch works,cause I'll press it in and the rpms will fall like it should,so i know its disengaging, but it wont come out of forth gear,and prior to this my clutch wasn't acting up.Other than my tranny being hard to down shift into 3rd gear was the only problem i was having before it got stuck in gear.I can still drive it in 4th, but it's a pain to try to get a car moving in 4th gear.I have about 140000 miles on it and I'm not sure if it has the orig. clutch in it or not,has anybody else heard of similar story's with their trannys?Is it time for a new tranny?
Not sure what you're talking about but his tranny was a manual.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

i need to be sure ... can this be fixed, or should i order an MX6 gearbox and a new clutch ?
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
npspears

Post by npspears »

If you want to take it apart and do a rebuild on it I'm guessing that would work. They sell tranny rebuild kits at the auto parts store for like $200. That could be a fun experience or a pain in the neck.
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

i've had it stick in forth occasionaly but nvr found out what it was but than agian i need my clutch replaced so maybe once its doen it'l go alot better

Return to “Transmissions”