Mx3 Hitch/BIke rack

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
sicon99

Mx3 Hitch/BIke rack

Post by sicon99 »

Does anyone have a Bike rack on the mx3?

Roof rack or hitch rack? im looking to get one and trying to figure out what works best. ( I do have a hitch on the car now for hulling the seadoo) so a hitch one may be a good way to go..

any suggestions, or anyone with one?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Mx3 Hitch/BIke rack

Post by fowljesse »

I have a hitch one on my RV. Can't remember if it's Thule, or Yakama. I'm sure it would be the only way to go. I looked forever for a roof rack for a kayak on my RX-7, and there was nothing good on the market. Even if you could make something else work, I wouldn't trust the thin sheetmetal, or hatch trim to hold up, not to mention the inevitable scratches from a wayward pedal.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Volones

Post by Volones »

I have a 19" mountain bike, and just fold the back seat and pop off the front tire and it fits under the hatch just fine.

If you can find the clips to get a Yakima rack to fit, I have the cross pieces and towers that I'll sell you for $125, but like fowljesse, I expect it to dent your roof. A previous owner had a rack on my car, and they dented the top and bottom lip of the roof right where the door closes. It isn't hugely noticeable, but I would never put a roof rack on my car again.

Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

Hitch for sure if you can.. i had the strap on kind.. for minivans/cars/hatches/ and put it on back.... worked great... untill going around a turn one day a strap broke, looked like a clean cut almost... yeah cut up a $50 seat and bent 1 rim.. (there were 2 bikes, only mine got hurt as its much larger than hers..)
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
sicon99

Post by sicon99 »

Yea thats no fun!
I think im going to go for the hitch syle (since i already have a hitch! )

Do they hold the bike far enough that the bikes doesnt hit the car?
the only pain part is my bike has rear suspension so its doesn't have the standard mountain bike straight across bar.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You can take your bike into a place that sells racks, like REI, and they'd be happy to let you try some. It will be far enough away, and has the bar in the way, so you can't scratch the car. I had to mount my F/S, and tandem bikes upside-down.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”