Brake calipers :(

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Jepha

Brake calipers :(

Post by Jepha »

So we started to do my back brake rotors / pads today, we eventually finished the left side, there was a lot of rust and corrosion. We couldn't get the caliper piston to move in to make the pads fit more freely, and when we put it back together the pads are really tight to the rotor and makes them INSANELY hot when i drive. I drove app 3 km got out just to check to see how hot they were didn't seem hot so i touch them with the back of my 2 fingers and burned the skin right off all you heard was a sizzle :(. It was funny though i was like oh f--- thats hot hahah. So then we started on the other side and didn't get very far at all, it looked like someone already put on pads a while ago and the douche left pins off, and striped out the 2 bolts which wont let us move the caliper to take off the rotor : ' (. Is there any way to free up that caliper piston with out getting a new calipers of course >_< and any suggestions on how to get off those stripped bolts? we were going to grind them off but then realized we had no way to get the rest off the bolt out :P. here is a pic of the semi done side haha.

Here is a pic with it all off, rust makes me wanna :crying:

umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Brake calipers :(

Post by umcamara »

You can use a large c-clamp to compress the pistons.

Heat up those stripped bolts really good, then use a solid pair of vice grips, super super super suuuper tighten them. If its the bolts that the caliper actually slides on, there's rubber boots inside those, so you may not want to melt those. But if it's the bolts that connect the calipers to the spindles, there's no rubber, so heat away.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Without trying to be too negative, you will never get those calipers to work properly. The rubber boots that were mentioned tend to seize so that the caliper won't float. Once that's happened I don't think there's any way to free them up without destroying them. And the caliper bolts...if there corroded enough that someone already stripped the heads they will likely break before coming out.

I ran into this exact problem on my 94'. New rear calipers ran me about $250. You might find a car in a wrecker with usable calipers and save some money...but one way or another I think you'll be changing them.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Wytbishop's right... but you should be able to find calipers cheaper than $250. I can get them from Piston Ring here in Winnipeg for $50 each. They aren't super dooper performance models, but calipers none-the-less.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
davmac

Post by davmac »

Hate to say, but rear calipers are expensive. Wytbishop's $250 is about right for 2 rebuilt rear calipers. The very cheapest I've seen are at Autozone - $165 for a pair of rear loaded calipers (these should include all the mounting hardware and pads). You can find the Autozone models here.

FWIW I also agree that you should focus on replacing these calipers. At some point there is no turning back and you are there.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Welll... first of all, that $160 is cheaper than $250. Plus, I wasn't talking about loaded calipers (pads, etc), just the calipers as I said. Those are $50 a piece at Princess Auto.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Cost is really regional. I typically end up paying more for stuff because the good deals always require lots of shipping anyway. Even if it would be a little cheaper I'll usually just buy local because it's easier.

You might be able to find a cheaper caliper than I did.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

umcamara wrote:Welll... first of all, that $160 is cheaper than $250. Plus, I wasn't talking about loaded calipers (pads, etc), just the calipers as I said. Those are $50 a piece at Princess Auto.
Princess Auto carries MX-3 calipers? This makes no sense to me. Please explain.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I meant Piston Ring. That's what I typed a couple threads up... then I accidentally typed Princess Auto.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I bought rear calipers at advance auto last year or something and they were about $135 a side (loaded)... and I also got a lifetime warranty!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

dont the rear calipers screw in not push in?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I know the front pistons push in. I'm not too sure about the rear ones.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

umcamara wrote:I know the front pistons push in. I'm not too sure about the rear ones.
failed disregard my comment lol :oops: it's the rears that screw in...
Last edited by Mooneggs on April 16th, 2008, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I just serviced my brakes, and my front pistons push in. Mind you, mine's an RS. But I can guarantee you that my fronts push in. As far as I can tell, they're stock calipers.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Jepha

Post by Jepha »

Wow we were at the back breaks with the C clamp for ever trying to get them to push in hahah so many curse words came pout of my mouth. I thought they were seized up cause they wouldn't push in but obviously not ha. So is that how you adjust them? but screwing it in and out? When i put it back together its rubbing really hard and making the rotor mega hot. So should i take it off and adjust the piston?

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”