weird noise.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mxer666

weird noise.

Post by mxer666 »

hey, ive done some reasearch so far but im still not sure. im hearing a weird noise as i enguage and disenguage the clutch while moving but not in neutral. now my gut and ears are telling me that its not the clutch or transmission beause if i slowly enguage the clutch i dont hear the noise but if im in neutral and push in the clutch and rev and quickly enguage the clutch i dont hear the noise. Its more of a clunk as the momentum of the car changes as i slow down and speeding up. I would also like to add that it even does it with the clutch enguaged. If im going on the highway, say 110 and about 3.5k rpm if i hit the gas i hear the clunk or if i just let of the gas quickly i hear the clunk.

What i have noticed/done. Ive changed both cv axels about 15k ago and ive checked the boots and there all good. new suspension(struts, mounts, upper and lower bj's both sides, stab links front and rear. what it sounds like is a clunk noise as weight is being shifted as the gears change. its really hard to explain. i have also noticed that when my car is cold it doesnt clunk one bit, but once the engine and tranny warm up the clunking begins, it gets pretty bad once i get off the highway and it does it in every gear.

Now what i think it is is the shaft that is on the passenger side, there are 2 i believe. i cant remember that well beacuse i did my axels in june and that was close to a year ago. on page j2-012 (#21) there is something called the joint shaft. the one that goes into the tranny. this is where i can kinda hear a noise comming from. what im wondering is that what's inside there? it seems as though the clunking is comming from there but im worried that there is some play in my tranny.

Let me know what you guys think. thanks.
jason5151

Re: weird noise.

Post by jason5151 »

check engine mounts! :|
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
mxer666

Post by mxer666 »

that seems logical, i never thaught of that. what should i be looking for? loose bolts? ripped mounts?
mxer666

Post by mxer666 »

can someone help me out here? i checked my engine and tranny mounts and there okay. so cracks and the bolts are tight. Thanks.
Spiritas

Post by Spiritas »

SAME PROBLEM! I have a freshly acquired noise that I would define exactly as you did. It's a clunk when suddenly changing speed. Also it would be consistent with my revs going up in gear with clutch not engaged (loose engine - throttle cable pulled when engine tilts). Doesn't sound very logical, the engine shouldn't experience any resistance from the tranny, but my clutch is really tired, so anything's possible :) at least it's better than the drive shaft joints going fubar :) I really do hope it's this, then I'll try to evaluate the dangers, maybe drive it through the winter and get my engine out in spring, then - maybe a rebuild, maybe a 2.5 :) :) just god don't let it be the joints..
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Bump this old thread. I noticed that when I let out my clutch, say in 1st to 2nd shift, it kind of clunks and engages. Hard to explain but in my stock mx6, I change gears, let go of the clutch and no clunk at all, just smooth sailing.

I replaced all of the clutch stuff, bearings etc also. I originally had this problem when I first did the ZE swap and had stock mounts. Then I rebuilt the engine and I replaced my front and rear motor mounts with AWR. Still the same noise with clutch engagement. Suspension is replaced, driveshafts are completely replaced too.

It's a HD clutch, is it simply that it grabs hard or something and makes a little bit of a clunk? I don't even hear or notice it if I'm driving fast, only when you do an everyday shift.

Now I don't recall this issue before the ZE swap and clutch change when I had the stock K8+K8 gearbox. I have an MX6 gearbox now.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Maybe your shifter stabilizer bar or something else in the shifter linkage is loose, or bad bushings, and the clunk is from it jerking around when you shift/accelerate.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I might try and have a look when I next change the oil. It would be really great to get rid of that feel when changing gears. Hopefully it's something quick and easy. Thanks
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

SOLVED!

Upon changing oil I had a look at the shifter rod thingy. There's two in that area, one had a 12mm bolt, other was a 14mm. The 14mm was impossible to reach due to exhaust pipe being in the way but only had a tiny bit of play. The 12mm one, that was a bit too loose..... the bolt was tight but could have been much tighter. I turned it heaps until there was no play and it felt tight enough. Took it for a drive and shifting is not only easier and crisper, but there's no clunking!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
_-Night-Shade-_

I knew it! Beautiful 8)
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Thanks for giving me the heads up on that one, didn't think I would miss something so easy but I did! :lol:
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
_-Night-Shade-_

No prob man, glad I could help!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”