Installed a K&N Pod Filter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JET30X

Installed a K&N Pod Filter

Post by JET30X »

i picked up a K&N Pod Filter today from AutoOne. Anways just thought id post some pics to make sure ive done it all ok, ill take it up2 my mechanic n get him2 have a quick look as well.

Bascially i had to remove the top 1/2 of the air box,

I had to remove the stock bracket as well becuase i wanted the filter to fit in the box, so it couldnt be put back on unfortuanetly.

Ive held it down for now with a cable tie lol im going to get some thing flat aluminium and make a new bracket to hold it in place.

The other query i have is there was this other tube attached to the air box. ive just tucked it into the open box under the filter for now but wondering what it does and what i should do with it?

posted this on the uk site so if its a double for some ppl sorry. btw this soudns crazy, really really loud even with my stock exhaust! and definately feels alot fast, heaps more responsive
MX3-Life

Re: Installed a K&N Pod Filter

Post by MX3-Life »

Iv had that problem with that little tube *THE LITTLE BASTARD* but basicly these are my thoughts on it. It goes to a device *Some kind of censor* that is connect to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and somewhere near the throttle.
JET30X

Post by JET30X »

any ideas for what i should do with it lol ? atm ive just tucked it into the bottom 1/2 of my airbox under the filter, sum1 on the uk mx3 site suggested makeing a hole in the back of the pod filter and attaching it to that :shrug:
Savin

Post by Savin »

I've read before, I cannot recall from what topic or anything, some just let it dangle there. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Well i had constructed this nice little thingy

Just to fit it into my intake but seriouslyi I said f--- it and torn it apart i just put it back on the clip and left it sucking in normal air i believe it sucks in or shoots out air due to the fuel pressure reg or the throttle i guess you could run the car and see which one it is... If it sucking i guess you could make or use some kind of filter but otherwise doesn;t seem to important.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you dont really need "silencer" on the side of the intake hose.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Basicly just put it back in its little clip and forget about it :).
JET30X

Post by JET30X »

ok cool, yeah hopefully i can just leave it, ill ask my mechanic this arvo 2 see what he thinks hopefully its not important.

let us all prey i dont get defected for this mod, cuz will if they police pop the hood haha it kinda stands out :shrug:

cheers guys :)
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Yeah, Well when your mechanic tells you what he thinks... Let me know :mrgreen:

Well the only thing a cop will hate you for are the Cherry Bomb Mufflers/Boom Tubes...
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

The little Vacuum line is a vent from a sensor on the back of the motor. To be completely smog compliant it has to recycle and aire vented back into the intake. So its completely OK for it to be open, but all you would have to do it tap it into the intake tube.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
JET30X

Post by JET30X »

skrew the ozone layer :shrug:
lol
ginja117

Post by ginja117 »

Hi was just wondering how this setup worked??? As im pretty keen to chuck a pod in exactly the same place as yours. how does it handle the engine heat in that spot?
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

ginja117 wrote:Hi was just wondering how this setup worked??? As im pretty keen to chuck a pod in exactly the same place as yours. how does it handle the engine heat in that spot?
its fine. alot of people (including me) have short-ram setups with the filter in the same location. however most people ditch the plastic intake tubing for an aluminum setup, as the plastic starts to crack as it ages. i wouldnt count on it giving a very noticeable increase in hp thow.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

just tap it into any other filtered air.... its the breather for one of the solenoids...

I used a random vacuum elbow, drilled a hole in my intake, and siliconed it in.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Heh, mine didn't push or pull anything. I just let it dangle since I put the short ram on. :/

I used a 3" rubber coupler and slapped that straight onto my VAF, then an aluminum sleaved rubber coupler between an ebay cone and the VAF. The coupler on the TB heated up enough that it literally conformed smoothly to the right shape and 2.5" size, and I rotated it occasionally so it would be smooth and even. I did it that way so I could push it down at any angle, and the light weight of the cone/VAF combo is enough to hold it in place fairly well.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”