Self locking nut removal

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cando123

Self locking nut removal

Post by cando123 »

Is there a special tool required to remove a self locking nut? Trying to seperate the header pipe from the cat and i can't get it to budge.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Self locking nut removal

Post by fowljesse »

If penatrating oil doesn't work, try heating it up w/ a propane torch.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

cando123 wrote:Is there a special tool required to remove a self locking nut? Trying to seperate the header pipe from the cat and i can't get it to budge.
just cut it and by new bolts.
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Kirk95gs wrote:just cut it and by new bolts.
Hes correct. even if you get one to go there will be atleast another one that just plain snaps. Its almost welded on there because of the extreme heat.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
PushnFords

Post by PushnFords »

A guy I used to know always said "Loosen by tightening!". If you try and loosen bolts or nuts in exhaust like that they'll often get halfway off (and be a PITA through every turn) and then break. So just tighten them until they snap...only takes about a half turn.

If you use a torch...get MAPP gas. Burns a lot hotter than propane.

Here's another trick. Penetrating oil just burns off if you are using heat. Get a REAL wax candle and when the bolt is hot stick the candle on it. The wax will flow between the bolt and nut and come out easier. Lots of engine rebuilders use that method for oil galley plugs and such that have been in place forever.

Derek
Last edited by PushnFords on April 17th, 2008, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Dude your killin me. This is like the third post from a month ago youve dug back up. LOL. Im just messin with ya. Welcome to the forum pushnfords

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

just cut it !
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That wax idea is a good suggestion, though, for sa bolt you can't easily replace.
I like "zombie" threads, as long as there's good new info.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”