Dont know where to put this (Hub assembly question)

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
The General

Dont know where to put this (Hub assembly question)

Post by The General »

Ok so when trying to remove my drivers axle, which I finally got out we damaged my hubs pretty bad. My lugs are off and moving around, I know thats not good. I got a few questions, if we put the tire on their hard enough will it be fine, like they will reset themselves in the hub, if not how do you remove the hub, I know how to get everything off but the steering how to detach the steering. Also all the hubs I could find online are for the rear. Thanks guys could really use some help on this one.
solo_ryder

Re: Dont know where to put this (Hub assembly question)

Post by solo_ryder »

To take the tie rod off for the steering you simply take out the cotter pin and loosen the nut there on the end of the tie rod. You can take the whole hub in and get new wheel bearing put in at most mecahic shops. That is why you do not see hubs for sale as you can change the wheel bearings. The rears have sealed bearings so you would need to replace the whole hub to fix that.

If you want to get a new hub with the studs, you can restud it or go to the wreckers
The General

Post by The General »

ok well I got another questions say I got the lug nuts back on, really f---in tight, as hard as me or my dad can put them on, will they reset themselves in there? even if not can I finish my swap like this cause Im going to have to and worry about it later, cause the car is no where near a shop so, we will have to deal for now
infiniGTR

Post by infiniGTR »

Over torquing lugnuts can lead to more problems.
2003 Subaru WRX
The General

Post by The General »

haha they are just as hard as we could get them by hand, so its not too tight just want to know if they will set themselves back in there, if not Ill loosen them back up I guess
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

The problem with overtorquing the nuts is that it can potentially stretch the threads and the wheel will never properly seat. For the back wheels, they do not have to be to tight and often never have to be torqued again once they are tightened..
The General

Post by The General »

ok I get all that but does anyone have an answer to my question, should I keep the lugs on htat tight to see if the bolts will stay in place?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Do you have a pic of how you damaged the hub?
The General

Post by The General »

no and I cant really get one since now the tire is on there. I mean its not like the lugs were just flopping around, 1 was, but the others were pretty much fine, I mean they moved in and out but not too much to the sides, if that helps
infiniGTR

Post by infiniGTR »

When you say lugs, are you referring to the wheel studs (The threaded part the lug nuts screw onto) or something else? If your studs are loose you should replace them as they could potentially break, I'm sure you don't want your wheel falling off. They would probably be fine long enough to get to a shop, but I wouldn't put a lot of mileage on the car with the studs like that.
2003 Subaru WRX
The General

Post by The General »

Like I said I just plan on finishing the swap with them like that then fixing that ASAP, I have another car to drive so it shouldnt be too bad.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”