TPS voltage differences

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
XL200

TPS voltage differences

Post by XL200 »

Ok I searched and I wanted to know if there is a difference in voltages between the new and old style tps sensors becuase I cant get mine to work.
The square looking one came with the wiring harness in my car, but the rounded newer style one came with my TB(Jspec BP). So I tryed swapping the square one for the new style one and cannot get it to work, even after adjustment(tryed an extra one too). Both sensors are 3 wires(unlike the one pictured, which is 4)
If I unplug the tps, the car runs better. Any ideas? Thanks
Blue 93 BPZE swap, g series tranny, k&n, ghetto kustum subs lol
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Re: TPS voltage differences

Post by Bumpysbro »

well the 4 wire tps is going to have a idle switch which the 3 wire does not have. and that square tps i believe is for a automatic. is your car a auto? check your reference volatage at the connector for close to 5v and backprobe it and check your voltage you get when you ope n and close your throttle. should be around .45-4.6v somewhere in there.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
XL200

Re: TPS voltage differences

Post by XL200 »

No my car is a manual. Im sorry for not being clear but the current setup I have swapped BOTH sensors, which are 3 wires, the one I have that is pictured just happens to be 4 wires. I was just trying to show the difference between a new and old style sensor in case someone didn't know.
My engine came with the 4 wire sensor, but my wiring harness only supports a 3 wire sensor, so I simply replaced the 4 wire with a 3 wire sensor(new rounded stlye). The problem is that it dosent work and I think this is because the harness I have came with the 3wire square sensor. Unfortunately, the square tps does not mount to the throttle body I have. Im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with a jspec motor and how they solved it.
Is there a way I can maybe use my original 4 wire sensor by running an extra wire somewhere? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Blue 93 BPZE swap, g series tranny, k&n, ghetto kustum subs lol

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”