LSD in K8 Tranny?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
neli_nael

LSD in K8 Tranny?

Post by neli_nael »

hey i was browsing ebay and found this, has anyone tried these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CIVI ... 0201787793
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
X3RCKT

Re: LSD in K8 Tranny?

Post by X3RCKT »

A couple guys were talking about them on PT and I got the understanding that they can be hazzardous to the life of a tranny. I would love to see if they actually did work since this would be a great tranction boost for our cars instead of paying over $1000 for a Corksport LSD.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

this has been discussed numerous times on this board. The Phantom Grip is a good cheap alternative to a real OEM LSD but the trade off is that it puts immense wear and tear on your tranny.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

ok i did a more in depth search and found that mx3autozam did it and all he needed to do was weld on the diff pin. i think im going to do this when i can save up for the the labor cost.
94 mx3 rs
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

neli_nael wrote:ok i did a more in depth search and found that mx3autozam did it and all he needed to do was weld on the diff pin. i think im going to do this when i can save up for the the labor cost.
I think that rebel2k4 did it also. Might want to ask him. I cant remember if it was him I was talking to about it but I think it was.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

would it be more efficient to swap in Jspec LSD tranny. I see them on ebay all the time.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

mitmaks wrote:would it be more efficient to swap in Jspec LSD tranny. I see them on ebay all the time.
i thought i read somewhere that the jspec lsd tranny wont fit in an mx3, i could be wrong tho.
94 mx3 rs
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

neli_nael wrote:
mitmaks wrote:would it be more efficient to swap in Jspec LSD tranny. I see them on ebay all the time.
i thought i read somewhere that the jspec lsd tranny wont fit in an mx3, i could be wrong tho.
yeah aren't the axles different? different spline count or something?
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

Mooneggs wrote:
neli_nael wrote:
yeah aren't the axles different? different spline count or something?
True but all you have to do is getting a mid-shaft and the swap out the ends. I had to do that when I bought my new axle cuz they didnt have one on hand. The only difference was the end of the spline end and the spline count.

Pop appart the CVC joint (carefully but it isnt that difficult) and pop one from MX3 back in. Make sure to keep the CVC joints from the NEW axle. Also, make sure to buy a new boot if you rip the one that is on there, if you are careful you can get the clamp appart and replace without trouble. I was impatient and had to pay 6 bucks for a new CVC boot but otherwise it worked perfectly. (Not sure if this would work on the Jspec but it did in my case)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Actually, there are LSD gearboxes with both the proper and the odd spline count. The all mighty Yoda made a mention to this and that importers are aware of it and charge a premium on them because of it. I believe mx3autozam's brother just got one for his Probe and it worked just fine. The lantis ones probably are the ones that don't work with our axles, but the mx-6 ones are probably the ones that do, but I can't confirm that myself.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Actually, there are LSD gearboxes with both the proper and the odd spline count. The all mighty Yoda made a mention to this and that importers are aware of it and charge a premium on them because of it. I believe mx3autozam's brother just got one for his Probe and it worked just fine. The lantis ones probably are the ones that don't work with our axles, but the mx-6 ones are probably the ones that do, but I can't confirm that myself.
ooooh........ :D
94 mx3 rs
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Actually, there are LSD gearboxes with both the proper and the odd spline count. The all mighty Yoda made a mention to this and that importers are aware of it and charge a premium on them because of it. I believe mx3autozam's brother just got one for his Probe and it worked just fine. The lantis ones probably are the ones that don't work with our axles, but the mx-6 ones are probably the ones that do, but I can't confirm that myself.
I wonder if there is a way to identify each one. Some kind of stamp or something?
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

I use the mazspeed lsd, its a 28spline 30mm shaft from memory.
being in the land of jspec i do not have to issues of the shaft problem

There is rumoured though yet to comfirm and try myself a lsd from the
mazda B series trucks ( or maybe even the RX7 series 4 -5 ) lsd body
that will fit into a G series body though im still suspect over the ring gear
issue..

Like I said rumour till I try it. or at least put my spare LSD beside a mazda one
and have a measure.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

What happened to your post count kiwi?
Cody
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

True but all you have to do is getting a mid-shaft and the swap out the ends. I had to do that when I bought my new axle cuz they didnt have one on hand. The only difference was the end of the spline end and the spline count.

Pop appart the CVC joint (carefully but it isnt that difficult) and pop one from MX3 back in. Make sure to keep the CVC joints from the NEW axle. Also, make sure to buy a new boot if you rip the one that is on there, if you are careful you can get the clamp appart and replace without trouble. I was impatient and had to pay 6 bucks for a new CVC boot but otherwise it worked perfectly. (Not sure if this would work on the Jspec but it did in my case)[/quote][/quote]

that doesn't sound too hard, all I have to do is swap out end from mx-3 shafts to the LSD tranny? I think I'll go that route.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Transmissions”