92 mx3 clutch

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
jeremypotter74

92 mx3 clutch

Post by jeremypotter74 »

I bought a 92 mx3 gs last year. Love it! the engine smokes just a little at 4000+ rpm not a big concern still some life left in her. I live in Calif. and the extensively check all emmission systems for smog. worried about puting the KLZE engine for this reason. my clutch started making some noise when I disengaged it
I knew it was the throwout bearing but figured I could get a few more miles out of it. one week later it got bad... it wouldn't fully disengage so i couldnt shift out of neutral while the engine was running and i tried to just get it home shifting without a clutch ... then BAM it pretty much flew apart ... No resistance on the pedal and stuff jingling arround as i drove the lat 2 miles. so now i have to replace it. do I havce to pull the engine to do this? All the way out or can it tilt it on the passenger side mounts to get the clearance? Should I replace the motor or can i still put it off and do just the clutch with out the hassle of a complete swap without wasting my time? any links on clutch replacement procedure. and one last question.... can i get away with a KLZE in California somehow?
92 MX-3 GS 1.8, looking for ZE.
jeremypotter74

Re: 92 mx3 clutch

Post by jeremypotter74 »

Hmm. ok

well i decided to wait on changing the engine.... no replies?

Which Clutch should I get and where?..

Exedy? centerforce? OEM?
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Go with a Center Force Dual friction, You will love it. just make sure to break it in properly, and then when u do the ze swap u can probly get away with usin that clutch. Or maybe just buy an OEM Replacement + 10% for cheap..
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Any clutch from a *reputable* clutch manifacturer will work very well on a ZE, even just a stage 1 will usually more than suffice. Act, Exedy, Bully, Centerforce, Clutchmaster, etc, etc. Don't fall for the "JDM" clutches or the no name ones you see on eBay and the type, there's alot of people that regret getting those. They either can't handle the power they advertise, or don't last. You can do with an OEM Mx-6/Probe clutch, but even those I've gotten mixed opinions from Mx-6/Probe drivers on their stock DE. A brand new K8 OEM clutch will *not* handle a KL's power, even if it's not new, it's rated for the motor's 115ft-lbs torque and will not handle the 165ft-lbs from a KL. A clutch designed for a KL will work fine on a K8, aftermarket wise, they're usually the exact same.

As well, as Trevo mentioned, make sure you properly break it in. If anyone has a problem with a reputable clutch is usually because they went out and started to drive hard. Yes a ZE is fun, but those first few hundred miles will determine now long she last and how she grips. Take it easy, don't rev beyond 5k, never use full throttle, try to use no more than half throttle. The clutch says 500miles break-in (stop and go), I did 1000km's since it's more, so better to be safe than sorry, and it's 1 trip roll over, so easy to keep track.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jeremypotter74

Post by jeremypotter74 »

Ok im going to napa today to order it when I talk to the guy i want to tell him its for a 92 ford probe v6 rather than an mx3?
jeremypotter74

Post by jeremypotter74 »

the mx-6 clutch is 3/8" bigger in diameter will this affect anything? Will the pressure plate from the mx-6 clutch kit bolt onto my Mx-3 flywheel without any problems?

My MX-3 is a '92 1.8
the earliest MX-6 kit available is '93

Thank you ....
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

jeremypotter74 wrote:the mx-6 clutch is 3/8" bigger in diameter will this affect anything? Will the pressure plate from the mx-6 clutch kit bolt onto my Mx-3 flywheel without any problems?

My MX-3 is a '92 1.8
the earliest MX-6 kit available is '93
Yep, not a problem at all. Just to say that the Mx-3 flywheel is a very common mod amugst Probe/Mx6/626'ers because it's lighter for them compared to stock.

Ya, the years are fine. The Mx-3 first came out in 92 with it's 1.8L V6. Although the Mx-6 was available from 1987, the second generation with the KL started in 93.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Transmissions”