good for a while then dies 1.8 k8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
crwayne125r

good for a while then dies 1.8 k8

Post by crwayne125r »

pls new to mx-3's i will start up my car and properly warm it up and i drive up to work about 7 miles away from me everything is all fine and dandy then it just dies so o start it up get about another 200 ft and it dies again so i try 1 more time and it starts and gets me too work and i let it sit for a while about 30 mins drive back home and the same thing happens. pls help me
94mx3precidia

Re: good for a while then dies 1.8 k8

Post by 94mx3precidia »

sounds like tis the ignition soil in the distribuitor. unfortunately you have to buy a whole new distribuitor in order to replace this coil. do a search on HEI mod. this should rid your problem of a distribuitor and give you a better spark.

although i could be wrong......
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Agree and the distributor problem is a known one on the GS. If an HEI mod is not your desire, then replacing the distributor is likely what you'll end up doing.
Image -Jim
Lynch

Post by Lynch »

Does it die at corners when you go to slow down? This wa happening to me and it turned out to be a vaccum leak on the air intake. I'd check that before you spend money on a ditsy.
1993 MX-3 1.8, 5sp, Citrus Orange
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i fell for the faulty disty like a week ago and it turnms out it was my intake tube. even if it doesnt look broken, grab a can of break clean or something flamable but doesnt leave a residue and spray it around your intake tube and throttle body and listen to see if the engine's RPM change as you spray.

I wish i had done this literally the night beofre my car broke down becasue of the vacum leak. i was debating or not to go and get some break cleaner and i was too lazy to bother and it ended up costing me $65 in towing.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
crwayne125r

Post by crwayne125r »

well at first my intake was not even hose clamped it was just floppin around so i tightend that up but it still did it and even worse so we did the hei mod and i havnt tried any long hauls on it so i will update yall to see if the mod work but the intiall startup felt better was just wet and rainy last night and those windows in these cars fog up really easy

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”