5th gear compatability

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MX_Sid

5th gear compatability

Post by MX_Sid »

well, my 92 4cyl. "lost" 5th gear while driving on the highway. i haven't had a chance to take it apart yet, but I'm thinking that i may just have to replace my 5th gear. what other vehicles can i change the guts out ov to customize my tranny? and how difficult is this going to be? i haven't played around with any tranny's yet, so this should be a FUN experience
I HATE mechanic shops and LOVE junkyards!!
Aston Wards

Re: 5th gear compatability

Post by Aston Wards »

Probably not worth it to pull the tranny apart, even if the other gears haven't been damaged yet, it'd still be cheaper to swap in a new gearbox
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

Fift gear lives on the outside of the case and is accessable via that black pressed steel cover
on the end of the case.

I personally can't see how you can lose fith, unless your a turboed mx3?
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

yeah im not sure how i lost it either haha! but its gone now, what other boxes can i bolt up to it with minimal modification? or do i need a mx-3 tranny? i like the little power i get in the first 4 gears but i would like a bigger 5th much like everyone else haha.
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

MX_Sid wrote:yeah im not sure how i lost it either haha! but its gone now, what other boxes can i bolt up to it with minimal modification? or do i need a mx-3 tranny? i like the little power i get in the first 4 gears but i would like a bigger 5th much like everyone else haha.
The search funtion is your friend, and i think its posted in the FAQ's

Any of the internals from a G series box will fit inside another G serise case, there is quite a different
set of ratios availble, from the 1.8, 2.0, 2.5. that you can mix and match ie i use a GTX third gear set.
Volones

Post by Volones »

No offense Kiwimx3, but the OP has a 4-cyl which means he has the F-series transmission, not the G-series.

MX_Sid, I'm in the process of replacing my transmission also, and am looking at one from a '91 protege 1.8L SOHC. I've read that the B8 engine uses the F-series tranny like our B6 does, so I'm hopeful that the bolt patterns are the same. 1st gear through 5th gear all have the same ratios as ours do, but the diff on the B8 has a 3.619 gear ratio instead of our 4.105 gear ratio. It sounds like your car is stock, as is mine, so I'll let you know how it looks at the salvage yard. Worst case scenario is that I would have to take the internals from the B8 tranny and swap the necessary ones into my B6 tranny, but I'd much rather just swap the entire thing.

Also, check out the transmission info on this page if you haven't already:
http://www.lloyd1.com/theman/protegefaq ... ssion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck,
Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

Volones wrote:No offense Kiwimx3, but the OP has a 4-cyl which means he has the F-series transmission, not the G-series.

MX_Sid, I'm in the process of replacing my transmission also, and am looking at one from a '91 protege 1.8L SOHC. I've read that the B8 engine uses the F-series tranny like our B6 does, so I'm hopeful that the bolt patterns are the same. 1st gear through 5th gear all have the same ratios as ours do, but the diff on the B8 has a 3.619 gear ratio instead of our 4.105 gear ratio. It sounds like your car is stock, as is mine, so I'll let you know how it looks at the salvage yard. Worst case scenario is that I would have to take the internals from the B8 tranny and swap the necessary ones into my B6 tranny, but I'd much rather just swap the entire thing.

Also, check out the transmission info on this page if you haven't already:
http://www.lloyd1.com/theman/protegefaq ... ssion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck,
Vol
My humble apologies, I tend to forget that our transatlanic cosin's are not cursed like us kiwi's with
all this Jspec stuff.
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

you have my condolences kiwi, thats gotta suck only having jspec. haha! hey Vol, let me know how that swap goes cuz its retarded trying to find a tranny. most places want $500-600 for a junkyard special. which seems kinda high. i did find one place that has one for like $250 but i havnt had a chance to call them to see if its tested and all that good stuff. besides if the protege fits i can find a tranny local otherwise i have to order it from half way across the country.
Volones

Post by Volones »

I think the Protege transmission will work, but the bell housing is different. I'll find out this week or so if the bell housing from the MX-3 transmission will bolt onto the Protege one, and let you know. If so that may save you some money. Otherwise, if you want, I can have the shop pull the 5th gear out of the donor transmission, and I'll sell it to you. Where are you located?

Vol
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

I'm located in lafayette, CO usa. how much ov a pain do you think it will be to swap it out? i havnt had a chance to learn trannys yet. but i dont think they are too complicated.
Volones

Post by Volones »

I saw a writeup about swapping 5th gear and installing a LSD into the 5-speed transmission, but I can't seem to locate it right now. If I do, I'll put it up here also.

Basically you'll need to drop the transmission, take the rear cover off to expose 5th gear and remove it, then install the replacement 5th gear, put the cover back on and put the transmission back into the car.

I'm in Longmont, CO so I can bring you the extra 5th I'll have after my transmission swap.

Vol (another mile-high MX-3)
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats lucky for me! guess its a good thing i carry a 4-leaf clover haha. are you the guy in the blue/green mx? i work out in longmont all he tyme. so the 5th gear swap sounds really easy. hope its half as simple as it sounds. e-mail me about that gear and any other info that would be good to have: dropkick_sid@yahoo.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NTJoe

Post by NTJoe »

Volones wrote:I saw a writeup about swapping 5th gear and installing a LSD into the 5-speed transmission, but I can't seem to locate it right now. If I do, I'll put it up here also.

Basically you'll need to drop the transmission, take the rear cover off to expose 5th gear and remove it, then install the replacement 5th gear, put the cover back on and put the transmission back into the car.

I'm in Longmont, CO so I can bring you the extra 5th I'll have after my transmission swap.

Vol (another mile-high MX-3)
Here you all go:

http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My 92 GS has no 5th either but I havent had time to take the plate off to check it out. The biggest thing I noticed on the link is that the cost of the gears is high.

Anyway...good luck and let us know what you find out.

Return to “Transmissions”