1992 MX~3 Rear window needed...

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cheartburg

1992 MX~3 Rear window needed...

Post by cheartburg »

Help!! I was sitting in my kitchen, about 3 weeks ago, and a large tree dropped a branch on my MX~3/GS, shattering the rear hatchback window. It has the rear wiper motor, and the defroster lines running thru it. Stretch~wrap just doesn't look "Kool", Y'know!! I live in SoCal, near Palm Springs, and only work part~time, and the $%#@ Landlord will not pay for the Damages that "HIS" tree did to my car. I cannot go very far from the area, to find one, and shipping costs would be outrageous! Need to know if VIN number would be needed, to order???
2fazed
Supporting Member

Re: 1992 MX~3 Rear window needed...

Post by 2fazed »

If you order one, better have thousand bucks handle. That's not something you want to order online. Your best bet is to hit the junkyard. Might cost you $100-150 for everything. Or find someone parting an Mx-3 out. If you had this problem 2 months ago, I had a parts car that had a complete hatch that was fine. Just got to search.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
MX Maximus

Post by MX Maximus »

cheartburg wrote:Help!! I live in SoCal, near Palm Springs, and only work part~time...I cannot go very far from the area, to find one, and shipping costs would be outrageous!
Forget about buying new glass -- it's no longer manufactured. Your only option is a salvage yard. Please provide me your zip code (you can post it here or pm me) and I will locate a hatchback with a rear wiper to suit your needs as close to where you live as possible.

Also provide me with the color of your car so I can hopefully find you an exact match. Keep in mind, the salvage yards will most likley not sell you the glass but require you to purchase the entire hatchback. As far as pricing is concerned, you are looking at $150.00 to $ 200.00 at the low end of the pricing scale.

However, given that you live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, the prices may be substantially higher. We'll know as soon as you provide me with your zip code.

PS: I had my rear hatch back window on my 1992 RS knocked out in apparent attempt to rob my car last year so I know what you are going through. That ended up being the primary reason why I retired it just shy on 500,000 miles. Again, all I need is your zip code and the color of your car and I'll go to work finding you a replacement hatchback.

MX Maximus
1993 Mazda MX3 GS: SE to ZE (in progress)
1992 Mazda MX3 RS: RETIRED at 498,430 miles! RIP.
1994 Mazda MX6 LS: Currently stock with no mods to date.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Small Claims court FTW

Also, read the sticky, fix the topic, or it will be removed.
xcilver

Post by xcilver »

I have a blue 93 hatch in Stratford Ontario If you are interested! pm me
MX Maximus

Post by MX Maximus »

Custommx3 wrote:Also, read the sticky, fix the topic, or it will be removed.
Perhaps Chertburg should change the title to: "How Do I Locate a Hatchback Window?" or something to that effect given that this is the "General Mazda MX-3" section and not the "MX-3 Related Want to Buy." Actually, this is an good topic for MX-3 owners to be familiar with although one that most will not have to personally experience. I should note that I called around to every auto glass shop in the phone book and was told by all that the glass in question is no longer manufactured. After thinking about it, it really doesn't surprise me given the rather unusual shape of the piece coupled with market demand for it. Fortunately, there's an economical solution: salvage yards.

MX Maximus
1993 Mazda MX3 GS: SE to ZE (in progress)
1992 Mazda MX3 RS: RETIRED at 498,430 miles! RIP.
1994 Mazda MX6 LS: Currently stock with no mods to date.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”