loud road noise...?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kellywellz

loud road noise...?

Post by kellywellz »

When i first bought my 94 gs about 2 months ago the guy that sold me the car said that it made loud road noise because of the tires but now i put on different tires that i know dont make much noise (low pro federals) and it still makes alot of noise so i know its not the tires...what is it? axles...? the car has 93 thousand miles on it. any help would be great thanks!
blue 92 mx3,95 bp swap, 97 kia tranny, spec stage 1 clutch,white excel rims.
mx-3_4evr

Re: loud road noise...?

Post by mx-3_4evr »

it could be a wheel bearing... what kind of noise is it though?
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

its a loud humming noise, very noticeable at higher speeds...
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Could be wheel bearings, as mentioned, I had the same problem, but my bearings (in the front) were so damaged, so I could feel vibrations in the floor at speed 90 kmh and higher. After I exchanged bearings the car was quiet on road, no excessive noise. :)
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I would say wheel bearings as well but when mine went bad I only noticed it when turning... all tires have a certain sound to them so is it possible your new tires just have a lower sound?
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

ya definitly sounds like wheel bearings. does it seem like its coming more from one side or what. Does it go away as you turn?
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

I think its the flux capacitor

Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Sound of a magnetic field caused by a 100000A alternator, maybe. :P
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Agree that it sounds like a wheel bearing. Not a front one but a rear one wearing out. They can go for 1000's miles that way. Can produce all kinds of symptoms incl. a hum/thrum kinda noise, a vibration at certain speeds on straightaways, or show no symptoms at all until braking at highway speeds - when a bad bearing can produce a roaring sound, with or without vibration. Jack up the car and check the wheels for play. If ya find any, replace both sides and it is much easier than the front bearing replacement.

For the rears, the hub assembly is replaced as a unit, already contains the bearing and bolts right on. If it was the front, more disassemby is required and the steering knuckle has to be pulled with a shop doing the bearing replacement on a hydraulic press. For rears, each side runs ~$35-$50 remanufactured. Rockauto.com has em for around $45 ea. I picked up a pair on ebay a couple yrs back for $40 for the pair. g/l and post back with whatcha find.
Image -Jim
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

ok. the sound is comming from the front tho.
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Then it's cheaper, just two bearing sets. But you have to replace it correctly, otherwise new bearings will be as bad as the old ones in few hundred miles.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I paid to have my front bearings done... I took off the spindle and took it to the shop - cost me $120 for one side. I'm not sure how much more it would have been if the shop had to take the spindle off - labor is $$$
davmac

Post by davmac »

Most DIY front wheel bearings replacement involves removing the steering knuckle - that means disconnecting strut, ball joint, outer tie rod and drive axle. You then take the steering knuckle to a shop and they use a press to remove your old bearings and press new ones in (you can give them new bearings or have them source the bearings for you). It is good advice after that level of disassembly to have alignment after everything is put back together.

There is another option that involves a very cool tool called a hub shark or hub tamer (different brands, same concept). I think that auto parts stores have a powerbuilt (brand) version for rent - maybe available at a tool rental place. You still have to pull the axle from the knuckle, but that can be done by disconnecting the outer tie rod and ball joint and pushing the axle out of the hub. The hub tamer tool uses a big bolt and cup to push the bearing out of the hub and press the new bearing in. I will add that a good electric or pneumatic impact driver is necessary to do the job quickly and with little frustration - though a big breaker bar can be substituted. This route is less time (less disassembly) and does not require alignment after you are done. The bonus is using a cool new tool.

If you lived closer I'd do the job with you for a 12 pack of beverage. I might even share the 12 pack with you. Good luck and replace the bearings soon. You can ride with the obnoxious noise for a long time, but they could eventually sieze which could be real dangerous.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

go to the junkyard and get the whole knuckle/ bearing assembly off aother car that is the cheap way out

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”