Rear tire rubbing

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
93MX3KLZE-T

Rear tire rubbing

Post by 93MX3KLZE-T »

Hello, my problem is that my passenger rear tire is rubbing just a little against the strut. I didn't notice until I had the car in the air the other day and spun the tire. The tire moved easily but car to a stop quickly with a rubbing sound. I looked on the other side of the car and there was a inch to two inch clearence on that side. My question is what should I look at to fix this problem? The tire size is 205/55/15 I believe that is the stock size. Could my camber be off that much? If so how do I fix it? I have all stock suspension. Any sugestions would be greatly appreiated.

Jeremy
93 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, T304E ***SOLD***
221.9 whp 219.0 wtq @ 5 psi untuned
13.4 @ 108 mph
94drumx3

Re: Rear tire rubbing

Post by 94drumx3 »

it'd probably be best to take it in to have it fixed.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

you can tell immediately if camber is off by getting down on the ground behind the tire and looking at it... if it's leaning really bad in or out you know there's an issue with camber... but other than that I have no idea why it would be rubbing because the strut is attached to the spindle which is attached to the rim/tire....

has anything happened recently that would cause this? i.e. hitting a curb driving into a ditch... anything that could have broken suspension components?

is it possible it is unrelated and your parking brake is stuck?

you got a pic of both sides?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

It happened to me. What was it? going over speed bumps fast... it seems that the bottom bracket that holds the sring is a bit weak.. so what did I do? .....

mexican style timw!!

Got a big hammer and hammered at it. It left a good 1mm clearance but hey the tires didnt rub anymore!

Could also be bad struts.. bent.

How do you drive her?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
93MX3KLZE-T

Post by 93MX3KLZE-T »

I'll try to post some pics tomarrow. The wheel is not obviously bent in or out that you can tell from just looking at it. Like I said the only reason i noticed it was because it was on a hoist and I spun the tire and it stoped after 2 rotations. My parking cable snapped a year and a half ago but I don't know why that would cause it to rub on the strut. I also drive like a crazzy person, I didn't nod her to granny her. lol

Thanks for the ideas and keep them comming. Like I said I will try to get pics tomarrow because I'm at school tonight.

Jeremy
93 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, T304E ***SOLD***
221.9 whp 219.0 wtq @ 5 psi untuned
13.4 @ 108 mph
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

you may need to get an alignment or it may be the bracket as H said but either way It needs to be fixed. Good luck and with pics we will be able to help more.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”