Supercharger for 1.8L V6

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
MX3-Life

Supercharger for 1.8L V6

Post by MX3-Life »

I'v been looking around for some Superchargers for my 94' 1.8L V6 MX3 and i just cant find any sites that have MX3 Parts... Does anyone have any sites/places that stock MX3 Superchargers or possibly a part that will fit the exact same as a MX3 Part?

Thanks.
solo_ryder

Re: Supercharger for 1.8L V6

Post by solo_ryder »

There are no bolt on applications for a supercharger on a mx3. There is not even a real turbo kit that is bolt on for the mx3. If you plan to do this you will need to source everything out yourself and create a custom kit.

Do a search on the site for supercharger and you will see lots of posts regarding this
andy

Post by andy »

go to PROBETALK.com and search for superchargers there. there is one kit available for the
2.5L motors. The kit is only the shafts and brackets needed to mount one. It looks like it
would work for the 1.8l motor.

Andy P.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

This is the kit on probetalk.. I was looking into a while ago.. but I bought a house....you still need Supercharger, Walbro 255lph pump, FPR to set your base pressure, and an FMU if you are NOT going to use megasquirt. You have to keep your VAF. They have been test fitted this on a KL engine and it will bolt up to all of them, DE and ZE. There will be clearence issues between the front valve cover and rad. Also would need to get some pusher radiator fans and a modification to the coolant lines do to where the shaft pulley sits.

Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

The s/c is a eaton m62... If you find one out of a mercedes it will save you some $$ you can find them on the net from 200-2000$... I think some people have also used a vortec s/c but I'm not 100% of what kind.. its on the forum.. just search..
andy

Post by andy »

good job Kirk, thats the one I was thinking of.
Thanks

Andy P.
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Wow sweet, I appreciate that. Thanks.
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

anyone got a pic of that kit installed?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

That kit is not made for a mx3, its for a probe and as far as I am concerned it is not a good kit.. at least for reliability. The transfer shaft messes up after use and they are not cheap or easy to fix as they use aircraft bearings and are hard to line up evenly which you need to have. Also, I have only seen that kit on one mx3 and that was on you tube, someone posted a video of it there and was revving it up like a fool, never had any driving vids. Feel free to look at it though. However, if you think that just buying the kit and supercharging a k series is easy then you are mistaken, this is mostly due to space constraints. That kit is not even made anymore I believe.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

That pic is of the old kit that was having issues. There is a new one in the making that Sasa Subasic has been using / making that will be in a g.b on probetalk soon. Yes there is no bolt on kit for the mx-3. I didn't say there was. I just said it was test fitted on kl motors. I have talked to Sasa about the clearence issue stating we have about 3-4" of spaces between the front valve cover and rad. and the coolant line would have to be moved, overflow container, custom plumbing, fab new mounts for the s/c, Might have to fab new mounts for the pulley.It would be alot of work/custom fabracation. He has been running the same kit he is selling for about a year with no issues. ( In his Probe ) However I would still be worried about the bearings as you stated.
SuperMattyP

Post by SuperMattyP »

why does everyone seem to attempt to SC these cars with roots blowers NOT attached to intake manifolds. It defeats the purpose. A smaller centrifugal blower would make more sense and be easier to find space for. Those little M45's are only good for about 200bhp and require a ton of rpms to get them there.

I've got some good experience with centrifugal superchargers and I'm pretty certain a decent small blower would be doable for you guys and not entirely too complex. Tuning would be more the issue.

Can anyone post pictures of an actual supercharged mx3? I'd like to see whats been attempted and what worked / didn't work.

thanks.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Turbo is much more easier and cheaper than supercharged IMO.

The main challenge in super charger kits.. is the balance shaft.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

i doubt too much time has been wasted trying to supercharge the 1.8 when droppin in a klze could be done over the weekend :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”