wierd revving

Manitoba / Saskatchewan Mx-3 owners and surrounding areas
fsas_afi

wierd revving

Post by fsas_afi »

earlier today when I was driving, my power steering cut out on me, so I figured something was wrong so I checked my power steering fluid but it was pretty much full. I then noticed that my engine heat had shot up and when my car was in nuetral or when the clutch is down it starts reving form 1.5-2 or 2-2.5 rmp. Any ideas what could be wrong?
lowflyinmx3

Re: wierd revving

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

The power steering and the over heating sounds like the serpintine belt went out but you probably know to check that. The idle could be several things, but most likely a vacuum leak or your throttle body could be causing it.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
fsas_afi

Post by fsas_afi »

yeah people have been telling me that, if it were either of those, how much would a repair on that cost?
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Repair won't cost alot, but it would take much to replace your belt. Just jack up the car, take off any plastic sheilding and the passenger wheel, and take a look. Just need to loosen the tensioner and put a new belt on.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
fsas_afi

Post by fsas_afi »

since it's winter and I have no garage I just decided to take it in to get fixed. unfortunately when I took it in my mechanic he noticed that the spring for my shock was all cracked up so he knocked most of it off turning it into a sharp spike which ripped a huge whole in my tire :crying:
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

I just replaced both belts and it cost me about 50$. so around 25$ a belt. You have to take the altenator belt off first or you will not be able to put the new belt on the p/s. As Vanished said- jack the car up, remove the plastic sheild behind the pasenger tire ( remove the tire first though lol) loosen the top tensioner with a 10mm socket and 10 " extension. same for the bottom. the sheild is held on by 6 -8 bolts can't remember. I do belive they are all 10mm aswell. put the new belts back on. put tention back on the belts. start the car and see if the belts are running smooth / check and make sure there they did not jump off the pulleys. Then turn the car off. put everything back on. and a way you go.

I did this in 30mins. its not the bad.

Return to “Manitoba / Saskatchewan Mx-3 Community”