MX-3 shifting issue!!! Please help?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
steckino

MX-3 shifting issue!!! Please help?

Post by steckino »

1992 Mazda MX-3 4cyl.B6 motor. Alright, I put my car into reverse today, and while I had been turning out of my parking area I heard a few popping noises. I put my car into first, and all I could hear was "zing, ting ting ting, zing, tingtingting ting." I take it that my transmission is toast, or has to do with my clutch. Anyone have any ideas?
1992 Mazda MX3 I4
1995 Mazda MX3 B6D (parts car)
lowflyinmx3

Re: MX-3 shifting issue!!! Please help?

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Sounds like it could possibly be a snapped axle. Have you heard the noise before? I would find it hard to believe it would just go out all of a sudden without warning. I would check you axles first. Can you let the clutch out with the parking brake on without it stalling?
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Elric_207

Post by Elric_207 »

Sticky... there's one down the street from me... few scissor jacks... wrenches... what you say we go get an axle.. lol j/k did you know he had his system stolen? I hope you get the 'ol girl up and running, I'll have mine going for the summer, we still have to have that race haha, it'll be nice to have a go when I'm not in the 3.8 regal... let me know if you need anyone to lay under the car and twist a few bolts, just give me a call and I'll be more than happy to help you out!
'95 Mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6 DOHC-To get the cops after me
'01 Buick Regal LS 3.8 V6 series 2- My inconspicuous getaway car
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

If your axles are bad, probably because your boots ripped open and all the grease dripped out. Simply look under the car, and look at the cv axle boots.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
steckino

Post by steckino »

lowflyinmx3 wrote:Sounds like it could possibly be a snapped axle. Have you heard the noise before? I would find it hard to believe it would just go out all of a sudden without warning. I would check you axles first. Can you let the clutch out with the parking brake on without it stalling?
I think I have actually, but not as loud. It was more of a elongated "ziiiiiiing" (sorry about trying to type out the noise) while turning. But yeah, My uncle looked under my car and apparently my right axle fell out. So he'll most likely have to get a new one, that won't cost much more then 50 USD.
1992 Mazda MX3 I4
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

steckino wrote:
lowflyinmx3 wrote:Sounds like it could possibly be a snapped axle. Have you heard the noise before? I would find it hard to believe it would just go out all of a sudden without warning. I would check you axles first. Can you let the clutch out with the parking brake on without it stalling?
I think I have actually, but not as loud. It was more of a elongated "ziiiiiiing" (sorry about trying to type out the noise) while turning. But yeah, My uncle looked under my car and apparently my right axle fell out. So he'll most likely have to get a new one, that won't cost much more then 50 USD.
UMMM... most of the time the axle will click and pop when it's going bad. I have never heard of a "ziiiiing noise". Lol. When you replace the axle check your splines, they may have been grinded away due to a faulty axle or something. Which end fell out? The transmission side or the wheel side? Just give it a complete check over when you replace it. Hope it helps.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
steckino

Post by steckino »

lowflyinmx3 wrote:
steckino wrote:
UMMM... most of the time the axle will click and pop when it's going bad. I have never heard of a "ziiiiing noise". Lol. When you replace the axle check your splines, they may have been grinded away due to a faulty axle or something. Which end fell out? The transmission side or the wheel side? Just give it a complete check over when you replace it. Hope it helps.

Second thought I did here a small ticking, but it was faint due to my ever so loud muffler tip :? I really need to take that thing off, it's just annoying me now. It was my passenger side axle, wheel side.
1992 Mazda MX3 I4
steckino

Post by steckino »

Yeah I can let the clutch go, and hear a grinding noise, and yet it won't stall.
1992 Mazda MX3 I4
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

if you put the car in reverse and the clutch out and doesnt stall then you could have a bad throwout bearing. mine did that before i couldnt drive it anymore. can you drive your car in gear or does it not engage and allow you to change? i mean either a bad bearing or broken fingers not too sure.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Pocrobs

Post by Pocrobs »

you snapped your diff.
Tried NOS, Tried turbo, tried 1.8 w/ NOS, NOW V6
steckino

Post by steckino »

Problems fixed, it was the axel. Thanks everyone.
1992 Mazda MX3 I4

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”