Blower problems

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
heaven17

Blower problems

Post by heaven17 »

About a year ago I had to replace my blower because it had seized. I then had problems with my fan speeds and had to replace my blower resistor module. Everything seemed good until the blower started making noise again. I noticed some water on the passenger side floor and it seems to be dripping through or around the blower. I think this is what killed the blower in the first place. How is this water getting in? Where is the intake located? I have done some investigating but can't make heads or tails of it. Now being winter sometimes I can feel some snow blowing through the vents.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1992 MX3 Precidia 4 cylinder
davmac

Re: Blower problems

Post by davmac »

I’m new to MX-3, but I’ve see this problem on other cars. I bet this is a common problem, but haven’t seen too much about it here. I don’t know exactly how to repair, but I know where to start. It makes sense that if water is coming in with the fresh air the blower motor is being trashed along with the resistor pack. The fresh air supply is a vent just outside the car at the base of the windshield. The vent is covered by the plastic under the windshield wipers.

To investigate you remove the windshield wiper blades by removing a nut and carefully removing the arm from the pivot shaft. Sometimes this can be tough. Be careful about prying because it is easy to crack the windshield. One trick is to collapse the wiper arm at the spring loaded pivot which removes enough pressure so you can pull the arm from the shaft. You might try to loop a rope or wire around the wiper arm next to the shaft and yank while pressing the spring pivot of the arm flat. If necessary use a small 2 jaw puller – something like a battery connector puller.

Once the wiper arms are off you might find a couple of screws holding the cover along with several trim or pressure pins. Carefully remove that cover and I suspect you’ll find missing or messed up weather stripping around the vent inlet.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”