Tuning : What can I do to a stock Mx-3 V6 1.8litre

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
snoemann

Tuning : What can I do to a stock Mx-3 V6 1.8litre

Post by snoemann »

Hello!

I have this stock mx-3 1.8 litre V6. Love it!

But I am looking for some way to get a bit more power out of it?

I was thinking going for a new powerfilter, and a new exhaust system and a chip.
Will this make any difference at all??

I see there is a nice guide here for a cold air intake. But it says it's for a K8 ... what's that?
And around on the internet I see parts for sale for the 1.8 litre GS .. what's GS ?

What should be the correct term for my engine/car??

Thank you!
sk8erdude802

Re: Tuning : What can I do to a stock Mx-3 V6 1.8litre

Post by sk8erdude802 »

AHHHHH dude you better run before the "Search" Nazis get after you!!!! No, but for real. The 1.8 in your MX-3 now, thats a K8. Its slow and there arnt alot of mods you can do to it. Some of the guys on here have turbo'd it and are happy and there are alot of people that think "throw it away and swap in a ZE". The ZE is a 2.5 liter engine that goes in with little to no modification. CAI wont add but maybe 1 hp, HEI mod may add 1 or none at all, and an exuast system....Im not to sure about that one on a k8. These numbers may be off but the point is that they arnt adding alot of power. Lastly any chip you find on ebay is a scam.

Ok so, now... next time you ask a question make sure you search or be prepared to take some ridicule from some of the older more grumpy members that have answered these same questions for years. There is lots of info on the chip thing I know. The k8 may have been hard only because the search claims that:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: engine k8"

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

switch your oil to synthetic 5w30,easy way to unleash some frictional lost hp,as well as keep this engine well tuned as in give it some love by doing a full tune-up--plugs wires ,cap and rotor..
just to regain some lost hp,its very expensive to get hp out of this motor but it is possible,most people here opt for the klze/klde engine swaps for the best bang for the buck..
but if you love that k8 try to get some headers and port and polish that baby!
I myself love the k8,cuz ive never been corrupted by the klze\de bug yet!
happy tuning! 8)
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yavol herr commendant! Heil search!
I suggest also just browsing this forum, starting waaaay back. You may see subjects that you wouldn't have thought of searching for. Good luck, enjoy, and welcome to the forum!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

<grumpy old member

Search or read faqs we've covered this so many times, its not even funny

sk8erdude802 Should of really just told you how he felt the 1st day riding in a klze over his 1.8 k8
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Turbo and KLZE swap...
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
snoemann

Post by snoemann »

I'm sorry, I understand that these posts can be a pain in the a--, but I didn't really know what kind of engine I had.. so I found it difficult to start searching.. I was probably wrong.. but anyway... whats done is done :P

So... I've been reading a bit.. and found this "basic mods" guide by David Coleman.
Very interesting and nice thread.

What I now wonder is ... how realistic is the power gains he describes in the thread ? http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He talks about a 4hp increase by changing the exhaust power, and maybe a (presumed) 1hp or so increase by changing the Air filter.

I see also some advertisement @ some shop here in Norway telling about a 14hp increase by chiptuning my car... is this realistic?

Comments about all this are WELCOMED =)

PS please excuse my occasionally not-so-good english =)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

HP increases are hard to determine, because it depends how many mods you make, and how they work together. For instance, If you open the exhaust with a Cat-back system, you'll probably get 3 HP increase by doing a Cold Air Intake, instead of about 2 HP without doing the the exhaust. Keep an eye on the For Sale forum. That may determine what you do. If you live somewhere that gets hot, I recommend Phenolic spacers. As a rule, don't trust any chip mod on the K8.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
se7en

Post by se7en »

A mild turbo setup is great on the k8, it is really fun!

200+bhp at only 7psi!

by far the best bang for the buck(cliche I know)

and you can turn the boost up at anytime!!!

cheers

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

this is my advice :
IF you can get a KLZE for little money, do it. It is a good engine to enjoy, and to tune-up
If you are like me , and have a K8 because KLZE engines are NOT Cheap and hard to get ... maybe you can make this_

CAI , more Fuel pressure , Denso iridium sparkplugs , Magnecor wires , some good headers , cat. OFF , a good back-exhaust ... this is not very expensive and can make your K8 live again :D

Or, if you have access to some parts, get the K8 boosted ( turbo ) :welder:
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
snoemann

Post by snoemann »

How do I find out if I've got a K8-de or a K8-ze ??

And If I've got a K8-ze.. what is different with the early 135 hp version and the later 144hp version??
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The simplest question would be, where are you from?

K8 'DE's are only rated for 130hp
K8 'ZE' are rated for 135hp
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”