Stock 94 1.6 DOHC...slowww

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Egfconnor

Stock 94 1.6 DOHC...slowww

Post by Egfconnor »

Hey all...so i got a 94 mx-3.....the BP6 engine if im correct ( Dohc...1.6l...105 hp stock or somethin? ). Im looking for ways to make it faster as right now most any car is faster then it :(

So any ideas you guys have to make it quicker would be nice..! Cheapest easiest ways would be good but im open to any suggestions..thanks much!

connor
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Stock 94 1.6 DOHC...slowww

Post by umcamara »

Search the 4-cyl FAQ, there's a lot of info there. Best option is the BP engine, roughly 127 HP, 120 lb ft of torque. This engine was born to be turbocharged. Guys can easily hit over 200 HP with a modest turbo setup.

Since your car is a '94, the swap is not completely plug & play, as it would be with a '92-'93. You will need to do a bit of wire splicing, or get the BP harness from the Protege or whatever car you get the BP from.

Now you gotta pay your dues and do a little bit of searching for yourself. I've given you about as much info as most will give you before saying SEARCH.

Welcome to the site.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

hmm....thanks so far.. well a swap isnt really possible for me as i don't have the time with work/school to do it, so it looks like either a cone filter and or exhaust, although for the small gains that would make, it would most likely just decrease sell value....
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

A cone filter or exhaust will not make your car any faster. I'm in the same boat as you with school and work, but if you want this car to be faster, the swap is one of your only options. On a 1.6L engine, your gains from opening up the exhaust and intake will likely be about 2 or 3 HP, nothing noticeable.

The actual engine swap can be done in a matter of a couple days. The BP engine bolts in without any modifications. The hard part is taking the time to do the research. But all the information that you need is on this site.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

i agree with umcamera...i have a 95 rs with a full cold air intake and exhaust done on my stock b6 motor and it really made no diffrence..except it made it sound better lol :lol: i can't guarantee that the motor can withstand it but i have seen a few guys do custom turbo builds on this motor and it makes it some faster but cant say how long the motor will last you...not to mention the f series trannies in them arent the best either. ive also had guys tell me to use miata cams and maybe injectors ..but not sure on that one!
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I also have a 95 RS with headers, CAI, free flowing cat/resonator/exhaust.

It's BARELY faster than stock. I ran my stock RS friend and I was able to cut away starting at 95 MPH.

Also, your injectors are good up to about 120-130HP. Increasing your injectors without increasing your flow substantially is just dumb.

I have some stage 2 (or maybe 1) miata cams sitting on my floor, waiting to be put in. That's about the ONLY noticable gain you'll get from the B6. And I haven't done it yet.
I have a set of integra cams, but you can get a set of OBX from eBay for about 300-350.

Otherwise, maybe you should look into getting an underdrive pulley. Also some lightweight 15's actually do make a difference.

Otherwise, rip out what you're not using in the car. Weight will probably make the biggest difference to you.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

weight does make a diffrence for sure..my car seems faster when i have my stock rims on then when i have my 17" rims on..there pretty heavy! i am currently looking for light weight rims myself.
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

thanks for info guys....ya i had some 17" rims on it and they seemed slower then the stock i have on now...im kinda thinking its not worth it to do much as ill prolly just sell the car in a year and get a car with easier/more potential.
pauleatstoomuch

Post by pauleatstoomuch »

Amen!

The 1.6 is slow!

I love the mx-3 for the way it handles and feels, not for its power.

For fast, i have a mustang 5.0 :D
'94 Mx-3 RS - All Black - Fully Rebuilt B6 DOHC .020 over, CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, SE Leather Seats, Pioneer DEH-P4000UB, JVC 6.5" in the doors, Rockford Fosgate 400W, 2 12" Dual Subs in Bandpass Box
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

Egfconnor wrote:thanks for info guys....ya i had some 17" rims on it and they seemed slower then the stock i have on now...im kinda thinking its not worth it to do much as ill prolly just sell the car in a year and get a car with easier/more potential.
thats because they are heavier and actually are making you slower

everyone needs to face it, the mx3 really isn't a great project car, mid 13's is a good accomplishment with mx3's and thats not all that good

my project car is my integra, 12 sec all motor ftw
lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

Yup. TURBO! I did mine for <$300 hehehe.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 51&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

nate2k5 wrote: everyone needs to face it, the mx3 really isn't a great project car, mid 13's is a good accomplishment with mx3's and thats not all that good

i don't agree with that comment but but then again everyone has there choice in Cars.

i choose the MX-3 i past mid 13's a long time ago..

then again honda's are cheaper to make faster than the avg mazda.. let alone the MX-3.

but props on a 12 sec N/A honda i need my boost.. hate to say it but mazda don't make shyt for power in N/A form

12 sec TRP MX-3 FTW
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

kudos to limegreen for havin a 12 sec mx3..must be fun to drive!!! :driver: and must be nice :bowdown:
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

lol wow a 12 second mx3. my mx3 is maybe 0-60 in 12 seconds haha. ya the way the mx3 was designed was not meant for improvement in n/a form. now if the aftermarket was behind the mx3 like the hondas/nissans and could make a good turbo kit it would be a different story. sick of turbo hondas lol i bet it feels nice beating them in your mx3 limegreen haha
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

Is there a write up on the miats stage 2 cams? I've read lots about them but still not 100% on what to do. so far all I know is to:

Replace mx3 intake with miata exhaust and vice-versa
Then set them 180 degrees from standard

To get to that stage what needs to be done, obviously remove the old cams, but do the cam gears need to come out to do that?

Am I right to think that the adjustable cam gears give you an easier time of aligning everthing?

what are the valvetrain options/upgrades are we talking stainless valves and springs?

Another thing I read was this mod can give you an extrta 20whp, with headers and CAI, I have these and as it was previously stated it makes next to F- All difference.

I hope someone can clarify these points for me or direct me to a post that can. ~Thanks
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”