Mx3 swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mikal

Mx3 swap

Post by Mikal »

Ok guys so I'm going to go pick up my first mx3 on saturday, it's a black 92 rs.
And I would like to know about some swaps I can do.

1. I was looking into the bpt (but can i run that w/ an auto tranny, if so what tranny)

2. Is it possible to swap the kl motor into it, without alot of trouble?

3. Go easy on me, don't know too much about stuff considering any type of engine work
(but would like to learn) so sorry if I asked any retarted obvious questions.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Re: Mx3 swap

Post by 2fazed »

I hope you looked through our faq section regarding swaps. On related searchs, you would have got info telling you keeping an auto tranny, is not recommended, unless you want to change it alot. And putting a KL in a 4cl Mx, means changing everything in the engine bay, not just the engine part. Good luck.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Mikal

Post by Mikal »

So the v6 will fit fine besides changing out all the parts?
Also thank you.
Mikal

Post by Mikal »

1.Is the bp mazda protege engine good? Also what would i need to swap that in to the sohc, would i need dif harness and everything?

2. Why isn't an auto trans recommended for a bpt?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/search.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikal

Post by Mikal »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:If you have a V6, I say go buy a KLZE (200hp & 160ft torque) or KLDE (160hp & 160ft torque) engine. The KLDE only costs about $600 and the KLZE only costs about $1200 and they will bolt on to pretty much everything on your car.
If you have the 4cyl, of course go with the BPT swap (turbo chared 4cyl engine at 190hp & 160ft torque).

Anyway, if you have a auto than I wish you luck because those transmissions stop working at about 110k miles (this applys to both the 4cyl MX3 and the V6).
Get a trannsmission cooler if you do have a auto
So if a wanted to go with an auto tranny on a bpt I'd have to get a trans cooler, are these hard to install/find? Also thanks Shameem for refering me to the search helped me find this article.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

if going to get a bpt i wouldnt use a auto tranny. i hear people going through manuals pretty quickly. i wouldnt imagine that auto lasting too long even with a cooler. but best of luck lots of info on this site. a v6 in a 4cylinder chassis is possible just lots of work, best to find a donor v6 mx3 and switch over.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

i wouldnt use your stock auto tranny on another engine thats diffrent unless the auto tranny is meant for that engine otherwise 9 times out of 10 your gonna blow it
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikal

Post by Mikal »

I'm almost positive now that I'm just going to do a bp engine when i get to the engine swap part of this car. Would the normal bp be good to turbo?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

what do u think if u do a decent turbo setup

do a search guy
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”