KF_ZE again

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
maryus

KF_ZE again

Post by maryus »

yep, it's quite annoying how many problems we have with those engines, but this is life, the pre-owners took the siroup of this mx-3 transformed them in some kinda old ... powerfull cars ..

I want to say, that being a sport car the owner before me , for sure he did aggressive driving , and when he saw the engine appears to be unstable what he said , i will fool somebody to buy it ... and yes that fool is me :-s .

Engine works , car runs, BUT NOT as i want :( I recently , las week i put 30 litters 91 octane (Shell V-Power) , it was reading almost full the gas tank, ok everything ok , now i drove the car for 100 km and guess what, the reading is at the first line ! i filled it up when it was quite bellow 1 one line , lets say in the middle. 100% i have a very bad gas mileage i expect 10 litters for 100km not 3 times that ! damn! !!

Now, beside the engine has a little tick at iddle , it doesen't look good maintained , the guy was an XXXXXXX, and i loose lot of oil... Now i start to see why the guy sold the car !!!! I drove the car this week a few times at 130 (for short distance) then 100 , 120 on the highway but everything over 100km.h it was short distance , i was afraid of the cops, then i rev one time the engine at 7000 rpm for 2 sec , then i drove the car a few times more aggressive like going 1st gear (6400 rpm) and second like 5500 rpm , so all of that and i saw my oil dissapeared, i changed it 1 month ago..

Ok , i read the engined was "designed" for righ RPM, if it is so why it's taking so much gas and oil to little quest..

I did some research on this great forum , found out that i can have probs with the sensors (coolant and o2), the termostat , oil filter, seal valve gaskets, and .. you tell me :)

- yesterday was my first day i was really worried , after two months of driving , and i am not a bad driver i take care of her , i dont rev high just a few times , but yesterday after i parked the car like for 1 hour (the engine was normal temp when i parked) , when i came back,i change in neutral, i always swith to neutral. then i put the key in the ignition , i turn into first, then after 1 sec i turn in the second, i pressed the clutch and then after 2 sec i turned into 3 BUT the engine wont start , not even moving , nothing was like everything DEAD only the radio working and the lights on my dash! i tryed it a couple of more times , not working , last time i tried , i PLAYED with the clutch i deppressed it a little bit and then it catch the engine a little bit i played more with it and finally the starter gave power to the engine...... i dont get it !! what was wrong there? -

As soon i get home i will post you a picture with the engine , so you can take a look ..

Thank you for reading all this story, its kinda long but in my mind is short ;)

What i want hear is some other people with this engine to tell me whats wrong with these engines , and how can i start fixing it as i want to get it perfect for the summer. I learned a lot of stuff on this forum but is not enough:)

Thank you again!
'92 Black Mazda Mx-3 - kl-ze
mx3autozam

Re: KF_ZE again

Post by mx3autozam »

Sounds to me your starting problem could be either a bad starter, bad battery, even some engine grounds could be off or even loose connections. Check it all out...

As for the fuel mileage issue. What ecu and vaf are you running??
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
maryus

Post by maryus »

I forgot to mention that the VAF hose is broken the guy put some band around it. You will see in this picture .
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =613685135

also yesterday at the first start when the engine was around 1k it started to raise and lower between 1k and 1.5k , so i took a look at that band , and i noticed it was a little bit loose , so i tighten uo a little bit. and now it seems to be normal again, aniway i plan geting another JE-50 VAF
there are two pics , at that time i just bought it , i did some cleaning on the engine surface.

I use a JE-50 VAF , and i dont know what ECU i have , i have to take a look tomorrow.

And another IMPORTANT notice , i kept the car outside the last 5 days, was very cold , lot of snow as i live in montreal, it was like around -5 and -25 celsius .
I have a feeling that this cold just kills the engine even if i have antifreeze ... and i suspect that my gas frozen in the gas tank wich i dont know how bad it is ...
Thats all for now ,

i hope the pictures will tell you something about the engine if not i will let you posted with some more , unfortunately FACEBOOK is the only source where i can upload . Thank you guys! PS: my english is not that good , after i read my posts , i saw some mistakes leading to missunderstanding :D ciao
Last edited by maryus on January 6th, 2008, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Well, I think what I see are square runners on K8 looking manifold, that is a KF-ZE for sure.

These engines have bad karma....

ECU is a big thing.. KF15 is one ECU that will work with it.
and requires 93 octane btw...

If the starter will not turn over, check grounds..
Also, you could have an issue with neutral saftey switch.\

Also please watch your lanugage please :)
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Make sure your floor mat isn't bunched up under the clutch pedal. This will prevent the switch from engaging, and prevent you from starting your car.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ow, looks lik it needs some work but i bet u can make it.

Clean up the engine bay please lol I know it wont do anything for performance.

The wires look a bit toasted.. have they been replaced?

Why dont you do a full tune up? also you NEED the ECU. it wont run right eith the k8 ecu and will burn AlOT of gas. That ecu is VERY rare and i doubt u have it , if the engine was swapped. Its VERY rare. Get a CAI, get rid of that accordion hose. check all spark plugs and well regular tune up.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
maryus

Post by maryus »

Wow ... :) nice info thank you, as i said the engine was in the first day,it was full of dust and stuff like that , i cleaned all around, the wires had been changed last year , I will look forward for the CAI , i am 90% sure i have the wrong ECU , i will have the surprise tonight when i am gonna open it , since 2 days nothing wrong ... just to much gas ... i cant get only 92 octane from ESSO as much as i now .. :(

- Custommx3 : why those engines have a bad karma ? thx for the input

- umcamara : yep i think that was the prob. thx

- hgallegos915 : agree with you,great idea, but right now it's kind of cold it's hard spending more than 30 minutes outside :) thx

Ok got to go for a ride ;)
I'll let you posted, ciao
maryus

Post by maryus »

Hi , I have a K8 ECU :( , it said K-80 on it , i tried to wipe it because was full of dust , and the labels just dissapeared... I put another link with the photo of the ECU . :(
ECU -> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =613685135
Gas thing -> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =613685135
ECU -> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =613685135
> is this a normal engine temperature? -> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =613685135

I am one of the unluckiest guys having a KFZE with K8 ecu :(, the quest is .. how much it cost ? :D i live in montreal so it will be hard for me to get one unless i find somebody selling here.

Now the problem is this , the engine is running like this for at least 2 years .. in all this time you think the engine has suffered something bad like some malfunctions ? ... I checked the wires wich appears to be toasted,and i noticed they are actually blue , i can say two things . - there is to much smoke under the hood
- the pre-owner painted all the car in black including the rims, so they look a little bit with paint on them

PS: Custommx3 , do you still have that KFZE ECU ? :)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

naa, i sold it to Hector I believe...

The reason I say they have bad karma, is that everyone I know that has had one, no longer has it due to catastrophies.

and it was the neutral saftey switch :)
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

you say the engine has been running like that for 2 years??!! Holy crap, the guy must've spent a fortune in gas!

that much unburnt fuel going through the engine has got to have done some damage (although maybe the vacuum leak evened it out :lol: )
You might have to give this one up as lost unfortunately, perhaps you should look at swapping in a KL or KLZE, it could end up being less expensive in the end
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i have a kf15 ecu i can sell you pm me if your interested $125(US)+shipping

and that temp looks norm to me just figure it should sit right about where the half way mark is on your gas
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
maryus

Post by maryus »

Before the engine received only 87 octane , as the guy told me, i changed it to 91 or 94 octane from shell, the service man there told me that the premium one is 94 octane ... hmm , ok i am using that one for 1-2 weeks , but goes out to fast. It's like when i live the car overnight when i go back ,start the car i will loose like half of a line ..

I should use again 87 till i get the ECU ?

As for KL-ZE , i would love to have one , but you know , the car is already taking me a lot of time as it is , i am a student , i cant and i dont have the time to do this swap , looks complicated to me . I realized why the car has been sold now :) , it was my mistake i should have read before your posts , like that i was saving some more money to get a ford probe gt with KL-ZE . or an mx-3 with KL-ZE .
I bought the car for 1800$ cad . So i just hope by getting the right ECU it will solve the gas issue, and maybe the engine will feel confortarble again. If not ... god wish me luck to sell it :(
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you should continue using 93+ octane, I know you don't as good of mileage with it and its cost more, but with the 10:1 compression using anything lower could hurt the motor.

theres the ecu, send me your postal code and i'll get you some quotes tomarrow :)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

maryus

Post by maryus »

agree,
i thought KF-ZE has a 9.5:1 compression .
The ecu looks good , when you change the ECU you have to disconnect the battery ? (just a stupid quest)

uhh , today i discovered more than i should ; Thank you to everybody , it was very helpful your posts.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

kfze have a 10:1

Yes when you change out the ecu you want to diconnect the battery install the ecu then reconnect the battery

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”