clutch problem?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MidNight

clutch problem?

Post by MidNight »

I just got my 92 mx-3 GS last week, i have a clutch issue:

I need to step VERY hard on the clutch to start the car everytime, I stepped all the way down and the engine still won't start, I needed to step harder than "all the way" .Everytime it takes me about 3 trials to start the car. However i have no problem at all when shifting gears when the car runs.

Could this be because of the clutch went out? I'm worried that I'll break the pad if I do this everytime.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

First off, make sure that your floor mat isn't bunched up under the clutch pedal at all. This happened to me once in a different vehicle, and I felt like a complete idiot when I figured it out.

If that doesn't help, there's likely just a problem with the switch that the clutch pedal activates that allows current to flow through to the starter. If you look above your clutch pedal, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Since you have no trouble shifting, I'd say there's nothing wrong with your clutch.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

+1 for uncamera.
Cody
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I have this identical problem in my fast car right now... I've tried adjusting the pedal and everything works fine except when I try to start it.

So how do I start it now? I put the key in and reach under the pedal and push in the neutral safety switch by hand then start the car. My goal is to put a piece of heavy duty tape or something to just keep it held down... I will just have to remember to never leave the car in gear :!:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

There is no relation between the clutch working and the car starting. The clutch safety switch is just a little button that the clutch pedal arm hits when it's depressed. If you stick your head under the dash you should be able to find the switch and see if you can adjust anything to make sure the switch is fully depressed when the clutch is down.
exile84

Post by exile84 »

When i did the atx to mtx swap, i just bypassed my switch. If you cut them and splice them together, that will bypass them, and viola, no more neutral safety switch......
1992 Mx-3 GS. ATX to MTX swap. Integra short throw shifter, and CAI. HEI mod. Accell Canister. 3A racing muffler. Straight pipe.
ImageImageImage

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”