'93 MX-3 with a ford 1.8L V6

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
paulus8503

'93 MX-3 with a ford 1.8L V6

Post by paulus8503 »

I own the car listed above, a '93 MX-3 with a ford 1.8L V6. First off, i bought the car used in 2003 knowing nothing about it, it was my very first can and i still own it. However i am running into a brick wall trying to find a ignition rotor that will fit. also, i'd like to know a little more about this engine, any help is appreciated. thanks.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Take a look at the back of one of the Heads between the intake runners and get a head code I'm thinking you've got a k8 with Ford probe valve cover or a klde from a probe pics would help us as well
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

of you are lucky.. alot of mx3s have been swapped with a de engine and just slapped on the k8 manifold and computer. why? well .. kldes are more easy to come than a 1.8.

I was asking around for curiousity and the k8 is very rare in my city. The de is very common. Ive seen 1 mx3 with a de, the guy didnt even know he had a de.. he has the stock ecu and k8 manifold..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ford I don't believe has anything to do with the K-Series V6 motors. It's a Porsche-Designed, Suzuki-co-developped, Mazda motor.
Ford just used that motor in the shared-platorm Ford Probe/Mazda Mx-6(626).

I don' think anyone would just swap over a valve cover. The only time I've heard people doing that is for when doing emmission testing on a swapped motor and the place doesn't believe it's swapped (cause it looks almost identical to stock). But believe that, as most people would suspect, that your Mx-3 has been swapped with the KL-DE 2.5L V6 from a Probe. The reason Trevor asked to check your head codes. cause it it was a stock motor, the codes would be marked K8-xxx. If it's a KLDE, head codes would be marked as KL-xxx. If by chance you have it's more powerful japanese-imported sister, the head code would be KL31-xxx.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on December 16th, 2007, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I agree with everybody, the k series engines were mazda, not ford. the klde that came in the probe had a nice big ford symbol on the front valve cover and is interchangeable with the front valve cover on the k8. I know this because while rebuilding my klde i put the ford valve cover on my k8 to get the mazda valve cover and clean and paint for my new motor. I got alot of looks when people saw ford my on motor. It was kind of funny.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
paulus8503

Post by paulus8503 »

how do i get pictures on here?
'93 mx-3 1.8l v6

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”