Died and won't start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
WitsEnd

Died and won't start

Post by WitsEnd »

92 MX-3 GS was working perfectly. Acted like it ran out of gas with 3/4 tank. Needed some work so decided to do it now.

Engine timing has been realigned and set
All plugs fire properly.
Fuel pressure good
New timing belt tensioner
New alternator.
New Battery
New Crank Sensor (mine had a hole warn in wire)

Engine turns over and wants to fire but never really kicks. Need this thing running bad.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

starter maybe..... ignition coil.... make sure all sensors are correctly plugged in .....
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

If you have good spark and good fuel, that only leaves timing or compression. I doubt you had something fail internally, so im guessing its your timing. Double check to make sure you are not off a tooth, which is extremely easy to do. With the motor out of the car it took me 7 tries to get it perfect, i cant imagine doing it with the motor in the car.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
WitsEnd

Post by WitsEnd »

Put new disty in it and now it starts but will only stay runing if you pump fuel arm on throttle body. Same problem no matter where i set the timing on the disty. After it stops you can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds and stop. After the pump stops it starts right up but dies right away unless you pump it. I'm going for a new fuel filter next but are there any other ideas they would be more than welcome.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

You have to put the ecu in diag mode before setting timing - otherwise the ecu will try to compensate for whatever adjustments made.
Make sure there are no vaccum leaks....
WitsEnd

Post by WitsEnd »

No vacuum leaks and TEN to GND done. Still coughs sputters and pops from the intake. Runs strong at start and starts the fits when pumped to keep alive.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:starter maybe
c'mon Rudy your smarter than that, it cranks so its not strater related.

I'm gunna say distributor. Maybe try the hei mod or a new disty. You should check if your getting spark too.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'm gunna say distributor. Maybe try the hei mod or a new disty.
C'mon John.. your smarter than that.. he already said he put in a new disty ;) LMAO Sorry couldnt resist LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”