Huge Problem with Air Intake (Installing a POD)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
melb30x

Huge Problem with Air Intake (Installing a POD)

Post by melb30x »

Now i only got the car a few days ago..so still very uncertain as to how it works - i also have got no clue on how to install aftermarket parts. I bought a monza pod from autobahn yestarday - tried to install it - removed stock filter + hose + all the electrical stuff .. and installed the pod.
problem is engine idles too low - and i cant even accelerate cause iit just dies. i know i should not take the air regulating thing out cause thats wat causes most of the problem..wat do i do with it tho?
how do i install it correctly? any diagrams on how to do it?
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Welcome to the forum.

I think I see exactly what your problem is. As a rule of thumb, anything with wires coming out of it pretty much has to stay where it is.

If all you replaced is the air box your only looking at relocating 1 or two things.

1 will be the VAF, that large cylindrical sensor that you removed. The easiest thing to do is leave that exactly where it is and either attach the new filter directly to the VAF, or connect a pipe between them with rubber couplers. If you decide to mount it straight to the VAF, make sure that you do not clamp down too tightly. This will make the sensor bind and you'll end up with the same problem.

The other thing will be a small 3/8" vacuum hose. You can pretty much do whatever you want with that. If your new intake has a bung for it, hook it up. I just left it hanging and it seems to be ok.

If everything is working right, you wont notice much of an increase in power since the stock Mazda intake is pretty efficient, but you will have a noticeable increase in throttle response and intake noise.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Wait, you removed the VAF? Hah. Why? Put it back in, bro.
melb30x

Post by melb30x »

yeah i just realised how stupid that was - thanks for that :) ill try not to ask anymore stupid questions....not promising anything tho :D
all worked out well btw thanks for the help

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”